I have upgraded windows 8 pro to windows 8 pro wmc with a valid activation key. But now it shows that windows is not activated and shows error message when i reactivate using windows media center key

It shows following message....

Error code:                                        0xC004C4AA

Error description:                              Unable to find a detailed error description.

Unknown facility code of:0x04 (04L)

Facility error: 0xC4AA (50346L)

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 1,573 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

After you entered the Windows Media Center key, it takes the place of the previous license, all you need to do is activate it normally:

How to Activate Windows 8

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

where did you get your windows pro?

I found this with a search on the error code which involves the fake kms license piracy.

"At the moment when you try to exploit the vulnerability it displays an error 0xC004C4AA, which indicates that the Media Center is running on a version of Windows, which has not been “purchased at the web-site or at a retail store."

edit: added:

Unable to activate Windows 8 Pro with Media Center. (Error code: 0xC004C4AA)

You might see this error after you used the Add Features toWindows 8 app to upgrade your current edition ofWindows. The Windows 8 Pro with Media Center edition can only be activated on PCs that had Windows preinstalled, orWindows was purchased on the Windows website or at a retail store. To fix the problem, you need to install Windowswith the product key provided to you in an email or with the DVD. If you think you have received this message in error, contact a Microsoft Customer Support representative

Sorry this didn't help.

Just went trough a grueling 90 minute session with MS Support. They were not able to do anything. We ended up repairing Windows (reverting to the original Windows 8 Pro key), reinstalling Windows Media Pack and then disabling Windows update which may contain one of the patches that disables Windows activation. The suggestion was to wait few days - not installing any Windows updates and hope that MS will patch this. If not, call back.
This is stupid as it is an obvious MS bug. In their zeal to disable non-legit Windows licenses, they also put all keys that came from Windows Upgrade offer in the same category. Once again I see how MS punishes us for installing a legit copy of Windows and treats all their customers as potential pirates.
I'll see if the patch will be released soon, if not - I will dump my legitimate Windows license and go with torrent install that does not have any of those issues.
Thanks for nothing, Microsoft.

Sorry this didn't help.

Just ran into same problem. My new Dell came with Win8, upgraded it to pro and then added media center to it. Now it says it is not activated and I can't activate it, will just point me to the web where it says I need to reinstall it.

I too used to windows upgrade offer and the key I got from that.

Any news on a resolution?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem. Updated the BIOS on my PC at home and now can't activate. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Find a fix elsewhere which fixed the issue

to get the phone activation windows

Press Windows key + X then clickRun, then type: slui.exe 4  (in run slui.exe 4 if start8 is installed)

then call the number for phone activation

Sorry this didn't help.

In short - *don't bother* if you can possibly live without it - MS licensing is *broken* in this scenario.

I was coming from Windows Vista - purchased Windows 8 Pro Upgrade Edition on DVD. Installed - no issue. Requested a Windows Media Center upgrade key - got it, no problem. Installed Windows Media Center using that key - BANG - Invalid license keys, windows not licensed etc etc as others have reported.

My solution - Stick the Windows 8 Pro Upgrade Edition DVD back in, and re-install.

Works fine, just sucked 4 hours of my life down the drain. Microsoft - SORT IT OUT.

I will not be installing Media Center again and I urge others to avoid doing so to avoid this pain. 

Sorry this didn't help.

No need to reinstall ~ Pressing Windows key + X then clickRun, then type: slui.exe 4 ~fixed it. 

Sorry this didn't help.

slui.exe 4 doesn't work for me. There is no option for phone activation, only Activate with a new key or Buy a new key.

I bought a Dell laptop with Windows 7 in 2011.
Last year, I bought the Windows 8 pro upgrade.
Then, I got the free Windows Media Center.

Everything worked for one month. Then one day I come back home and discover the activation is no longer valid. There's no key in my system.

I've got a legal key for Windows 8 Pro.
I've got a legal key for Windows Media Center.

Neither works. Windows insists that I need a special "Windows 8 Pro + Windows Media Center" key. This key, however, doesn't seen to EXIST!

I've already spent a pretty penny calling Microsoft support, and lost hundreds of dollars in wasted work hours. I had to call Microsoft support six times because I was put "on hold" and immediately disconnected. Each time I called, I had to go through ELEVEN STEPS of an automatic menu before I was allowed to speak to a human being. The guy was unable to help, but promised a technician would call me the next day. Unsurprisingly, nobody called. I spent eight hours (from 10 PM to 6 AM) trying to solve the problem, until I had to give up, because I've got WORK to do., that does not involve trying to solve Microsoft's blunders. And now, everyday, I've got that reminder popping up.

Last week, a friend made fun of me because his pirated Windows works perfectly, while my legal Windows is still broken!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there

Did you run slui,exe 4 from an elevated command prompt? if yes you could run sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt to check if anything is corrupted.  Once done run slui.exe 3 (again from an elevated prompt) and enter your key.

PS: let's hope your friend is not using your key on his pirated copy!

Sorry this didn't help.