How to update from 32 bit Windows 8 to 64 bit (having upgraded from 32bit Vista)

Still have not seen any definitive answers related to this question.  I had Vista 32 bit and went through the Windows 8 upgrade process.  I am now stuck with Windows 8 32 bit.  I was not given the option of a 64 bit install during the upgrade process even though my machine is 64 bit compatible.  Like many other people here I recently purchased some hardware updates for this machine (additional RAM).  I am now showing 4 gigs or ram, 3 of which is usable.  

I need to know how to upgrade my current Windows 8 32 bit installation to a Windows 8 64 bit installation so I can utilize the new RAM I purchased.  

Answers I am not interested in hearing:
1. Obtain a 64 bit Windows 8 iso and or disk and rerun/boot the Windows 8 install process using that.
-I do not have access to a Windows 8 64 bit iso or disk.  I also have heard conflicting reports of whether a new 64 bit install using my 'upgrade' license key will work when it comes to the activation process.

2. It was buried on some screen or in some document that you can't do what I am trying to do (go from 32 bit legacy to 64 bit Win8)
-This answer is absolute garbage.  Everything Microsoft has said about the upgrade process to Win8 has been that it would be 'quick' and 'easy'. I am not looking for excuses on why this can't be done.  From what I can tell my Vista install is gone anyways, so Microsoft has lured me into upgrading to software that clearly does not meet my needs.

As a side note, they really should build the option into the Windows upgrade assistant to allow the user to choose a 32 bit versus 64 bit installation. 

As stated above I'm looking for an actual solution to this problem, and not a repost of answers 1 and 2.  I appreciate anyone who can help bring closure and/or new information to this issue.  Thank you.
|

So, you had Vista 32-bit and used Windows 8 64-bit to upgrade and you are wondering why you now have a 64-bit OS?

Using a Windows 8 32-bit disk would have produced a different outcome..  

Or are you wondering why Windows 8 64-bit does not show all of your memory? 

Type MSCONFIG in a search. When it opens, click on the BOOT tab and then the 'Advanced Options' button. Uncheck the 'Maximum Memory' box..

Windows 10 Pro - Start10 - part of a local network which is a '3rd party optimizer-free' zone..

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

So, you had Vista 32-bit and used Windows 8 64-bit to upgrade and you are wondering why you now have a 64-bit OS?

Using a Windows 8 32-bit disk would have produced a different outcome..  

Or are you wondering why Windows 8 64-bit does not show all of your memory? 

Type MSCONFIG in a search. When it opens, click on the BOOT tab and then the 'Advanced Options' button. Uncheck the 'Maximum Memory' box..

Thank you for the reply and my apologies for the epic typo in my original post.  The second sentence should read: 

"I had Vista 32 bit and went through the Windows 8 upgrade process.  I am now stuck with Windows 8 32 bit."

I need to know how to upgrade my current Windows 8 32 bit installation to a Windows 8 64 bit installation so I can utilize my additional RAM.

The only viable solution I have heard of is to call Microsoft and cancel/refund my Vista-Win8 upgrade purchase.  Then go to a store an buy a 70$ Windows 8 64 bit disc and reroll my harddrive with the 64 bit installation, and new license key.  There has to be a better way and I am hoping someone here knows of one.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The viable solution is good to the point where you call Microsoft. Thereafter, you should explain the situation to them and maybe they will let you have the 64-bit version. It would be little skin off the nose to them as you would be using the same key as you have already been given..
Windows 10 Pro - Start10 - part of a local network which is a '3rd party optimizer-free' zone..

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I did the same thing TimRider87 did, upgrade from vista 32-bit, and I called Microsoft with the intent of finding out if I could use the backup disc I ordered with the upgrade to upgrade from 
Windows 8 32-bit to Windows 8 64-bit. The guy I talked to said I could, but on this forum I read some posts that the disc I ordered will only come with the version I downloaded so I'm going to wait for the disc, which still hasn't shipped, and see what happenes. Hopefully it will work or if anybody knows better please let me know.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I do have 2 XP, 2 Vista and 1 windows 7 with 32 bit. So not an easy tasks. getting a 32 bit windows 8 Pro. which all of the computer able to support 64 bit. We purchase 32 bit software windows because 64 bit software are rare that time of year compare with current.

Now there are more 64 bit out there. 32 bit software base are being replace by 64 bit. And the trends is accelerating. 

We do need help. In our local market they are selling at USD140.00 - USD160.00 for a Windows 8 Pro 32/64 DVD. This is before 31 Jan 2013. I can't get it at USD69.99. It is cheaper to upgrade online. but we do not have the choices 32/64 bit. Even the computer are equips with 64 bit architecture. 

Hope that those who purchase Windows 8 Pro are given the choices of download 32/64 bit or better detection of hardware with 32/64 bit architecture.

Thank you.

Sincerely.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Still have not seen any definitive answers related to this question.  I had Vista 32 bit and went through the Windows 8 upgrade process.  I am now stuck with Windows 8 32 bit.  I was not given the option of a 64 bit install during the upgrade process even though my machine is 64 bit compatible.  Like many other people here I recently purchased some hardware updates for this machine (additional RAM).  I am now showing 4 gigs or ram, 3 of which is usable.  

I need to know how to upgrade my current Windows 8 32 bit installation to a Windows 8 64 bit installation so I can utilize the new RAM I purchased.  

Answers I am not interested in hearing:
1. Obtain a 64 bit Windows 8 iso and or disk and rerun/boot the Windows 8 install process using that.
-I do not have access to a Windows 8 64 bit iso or disk.  I also have heard conflicting reports of whether a new 64 bit install using my 'upgrade' license key will work when it comes to the activation process.

2. It was buried on some screen or in some document that you can't do what I am trying to do (go from 32 bit legacy to 64 bit Win8)
-This answer is absolute garbage.  Everything Microsoft has said about the upgrade process to Win8 has been that it would be 'quick' and 'easy'. I am not looking for excuses on why this can't be done.  From what I can tell my Vista install is gone anyways, so Microsoft has lured me into upgrading to software that clearly does not meet my needs.

As a side note, they really should build the option into the Windows upgrade assistant to allow the user to choose a 32 bit versus 64 bit installation. 

As stated above I'm looking for an actual solution to this problem, and not a repost of answers 1 and 2.  I appreciate anyone who can help bring closure and/or new information to this issue.  Thank you.

sometimes the truth is bitter. You just have to admit it.

You cant upgrade from a 32 bit Windows OS to  64bit Windows OS.

You have to perform a clean installation. It is the only solution. Hope you understand it..

The above opinion is mine alone and does not reflect that of Microsoft or it's employees.
#warlock#

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If Windows 8 is bought and downloaded on a machine running a 32-bit, the person will get a 32-bit download and/or DVD.

The answer is to do the download and purchase on a 64-bit machine, and use the download to do a custom install on one's own 32-bit machine.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If Windows 8 is bought and downloaded on a machine running a 32-bit, the person will get a 32-bit download and/or DVD.

The answer is to do the download and purchase on a 64-bit machine, and use the download to do a custom install on one's own 32-bit machine.

hi
i didnt understand the facts clearly. Did you download a 64bit OS or 32bit OS.
The above opinion is mine alone and does not reflect that of Microsoft or it's employees.
#warlock#

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I didn't do either. I was replying to the OP re getting the 64-bit upgrade onto a 32-bit computer..

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry. I just used the wrong 'Reply with quote'..!!
#warlock#

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 28, 2020 Views 1,187 Applies to: