How do I delete $WINDOWS.~BT after failed Windows 8 install?

After many attempts to install Windows 8 on my high-end desktop, and after following all of the advice given in these threads, I have concluded that Windows 8 is simply not going to install on this machine. Behind that simple statement is significant amount of fury at Microsoft for having released a woefully defective product for which there are inadequate workarounds for installation failure. But that's a story for another day.

I have reverted to Windows 7 and it's working fine. The only problem is that now I have a folder named $WINDOWS.~BT on my boot drive (C:) which simply cannot be deleted. It appears to be the backup of my Windows 7 OS performed as part of the failed Windows 8 installation, but now it is a 12GB nuisance which is impeding the performance of the SSD from which my Windows 7 boots.

I have gone into Properties and changed ownership of the folder from TrustedInstaller to myself (and my account has administrator rights). Now when I attempts to delete the folder, it grinds through the preparation process and then demands permission from my account -- the one that is already logged in -- to perform the deletion.

How do I rid myself of this huge and useless folder?

TIA.

Question Info

Last updated August 30, 2019 Views 120,946 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community!

I understand that you are unable to delete $Windows folder which occupies more space.

I would suggest you to follow the Steps given below.

Method 1:

To open Disk Cleanup:

a)      Press Windows key + R

b)      Type: %windir%\system32\cleanmgr.exe

c)       Hit Enter on your keyboard

Method 2:

Follow the steps given the link.

How do I remove the Windows.old folder?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/How-do-I-remove-the-Windows-old-folder

This method will remove the folder what you are referring.

I recommend you to select “Windows Setup temporary files” when asked.

Hope the information helps! Please post if you need further assistance, We are here to assist you.

24 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.