How can I tell for certain if my netbook will support Windows 8 Pro?

I recently purchased an Acer Aspire One D270-1401 on the cheap, and have decided that Windows 7 Starter is pretty much utter ****. My two choices are as follows: 1) upgrade to Home Premium (I see someone selling the Anytime Upgrade for this on Amazon for about $22), or 2) upgrade to Windows 8 Pro (I still have a $15 upgrade to that version until 2/28 courtesy of buying my wife a new laptop last fall; she doesn't want Win8). I've already upgraded my memory from 1GB to 2 in anticipation of doing so. I elected to download Microsoft's Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant, just to make sure my little netbook didn't have any other shortcomings. Most of the stuff that it said wouldn't be compatible I could do without: sidebar gadgets, Secure Boot, Live Essentials. A couple of others require available updates, so that's also no big deal But it also noted that the screen's resolution wasn't able to be set large enough to function with Windows 8: "You need a screen resolution of at least 1024x768 to install and use apps from the Windows Store (this includes apps that might be pre-installed on your PC). You Might be able to change your resolution in the Display Control Panel." Accordingly, my 2 resolution options in Win7 Starter are 1024x600 (default/recommended) 800x600. No more, no less. I emailed Acer's tech support, asking whether this limitation was because of the OS in the netbook, or because of the actual hardware Acer put inside; the dunderhead replied that, since I'd used the aforementioned Upgrade Assistant, perhaps I should contact Microsoft (read: other regular people such as yourself who aren't necessarily MS employees) to resolve the question. So, here I am. I'll pose the question one more: Would a limitation on the screen resolution of a relatively new Acer netbook with Windows 7 Starter be due to the operating system and all its inherent restrictions, or because of a crappy motherboard/on-board graphics card that Acer put inside? Thanks!

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 1,691 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

See the links below for minimum requirements:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-8/system-requirements

If you ran Upgrade Assistant and there were no major problems other than those mentioned, you may be OK but nothing is 100% certain.  Sure some things will have to be upgraded, software if not compatible and maybe some drivers after the installation.

It is not advisable to use your wife's coupon due to dates that Microsoft Activation Center may verify in the BIOS upon installation.  It is your choice.

Acers comment to you was very unprofessional so you know what to do in the future.

As usual before you do anything, back up your personal data.

We who answer on this site are not employees of Microsoft.  We are users like you who pass on our experience.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
i'm going to say no on 8 going to work out cause i found the specs on ur computer

http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/netbook/2012/Acer/Aspire/AspireOneAOD270/AspireOneAOD270sp2.shtml

what had the alarms ringing was that a starter OS was on the computer at the beginning. Starter OS usually mean this computer is to surf the web and do some typing.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.