How can I find my Windows 8 product key if it came pre-installed on my Hp laptop. I want to upgrade to Windows 8.1 when it comes out.

I would like to install Windows 8.1 when it comes out in August. According to Microsoft:

you need to have your product key to install 8.1. My laptop came pre-installed with it and I don't know where to find it. I would not like to use 3rd party applications. I know how to get into my CMOS and that is all. Thanks.
|
Answer
Answer

With Windows 8, Microsoft has changed from stickers that have the product key that the user has to type in when installing the operating system to new BIOS embedded product keys. The idea is that by eliminating the sticker, you eliminate one of the easier ways for nefarious users to get a legitimate product key. Eliminating the product key sticker also removes any worry that the sticker might get damaged while at the same time eliminating the long and irritating process of typing in various letters and numbers when installing the operating system.

If the user has to reinstall the operating system on a machine that came with Windows 8, the installation process automatically grabs the software product key from the motherboard BIOS with no input from the user. This means that those familiar Windows product key stickers will no longer appear on the Windows 8 computers.

Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

40 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Starting with windows 8 the product key is embeded  in the bios. This avoids a major source of porated product keys. When you upgrade( or restore your current OS) to Windows 8.1 the computer grabs the product key and activates it automatically. Hope this helps and if you need any further assistance post and we will be glad to help you.

The above opinion is mine and mine alone and doesn't necessarily reflect that of Microsoft, it's employees, or any other member of this forum.

"When you try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everythying else in the Universe." - John Muir

45 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 4, 2022 Views 80,738 Applies to: