How can I achieve the compatibility between Windows 8 and Office 2007 claimed by the website?

I have just bought a laptop running Windows 8 and installed my copy (on disc) of Office Enterprise 2007. It seemed to install OK (but I now can't uninstall it). However, Word and Excel won't run from the icons, and when I click on a docx or xlsx file it says preparing to install, then an error message, then nothing. But ... Word does work when I click on an old Worperfect Dos file, and I can run Excel through the test compatibility routine although it claims it's incompatible. The website says Office 2007 is compatible, the man on the support line says it isn't! What can I do to get the programs running properly? 

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 2,092 Applies to:

Your question is best answered here: Office Discussion Groups
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/group/Office

J W Stuart: http://www.pagestart.com

Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Microsoft Office 2007 is compatible with Windows 8, I have installed it many times on Windows 8 and works just fine, see the following article as an example:

How to install apps in Windows 8

If the software refuses to uninstall, use Revouninstaller.

You can find Revo Uninstaller at http://www.revouninstaller.com (freeware). Here’s a quick look at how to use Revo uninstaller.

Launch Revo uninstaller after installing, select the program you want to uninstall or search for it using the built in search tool.

Click the Uninstall button on the toolbar

This will start the uninstallation wizard for the particular program you selected. Revo uninstaller will go through a series of steps which include creating a system restore point, creating a backup of your Windows registry.

Then analyze the program and run its default uninstaller, click Yes when you see the above dialog. After the uninstall is completed, you have a choice of scanning modes to select from. What this will do is let you scan for any left over files, folders and registry items from that particular program. Safe looks in the usual places, moderate in more advanced locations while Advanced does a thorough search throughout the entire computer. After selecting your choice, (I went with Advanced), click Scan.

After the scan is complete, you will see a list of registry entries left behind by the program, select them then click Finish to thoroughly remove the program from your system.

The default uninstaller should work for most persons, but for those troublesome programs, the Force Uninstall feature and advanced scanning options will give you more control.

---------------------------

Reinstalling:

Browse the Office 2007 disc,

Right click Setup.exe

Click Run as administrator

See if the installation completes.

If not

Open the Office 2007 disc (browse it)

Press Ctrl + A on your keyboard to select all the files on the disc or click Organize > Select All, then click Organize > Copy)

Right click on the desktop

Click New > Folder

Give it a name

Open it

Press Ctrl +V on your keyboard to paste all the files on the disc in that folder click Organize > paste)

Launch the setup.exe file on the disk

Proceed to install Microsoft Office.

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Sorry this didn't help.

Office Enterprise requires a volume license. I doubt you can install and activate it without help and permission from your office's IT Dept. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Office Enterprise requires a volume license. I doubt you can install and activate it without help and permission from your office's IT Dept. 

Actually, you can, depending if its a Multiple Activation Key license which works similarly to retail licenses.
Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Sorry this didn't help.

I have installed Office 2007 on Windows 8 as well, but I can not find it. Can you tell me how to get to the application once it is installed.

Sorry this didn't help.