Hi guys! I just downloaded windows 8 and after it finished downloading and checking the files it did not present me with the option to create my own media as it should have . What can i do now?

As mentioned above in the (rather long) post of mine , i downloaded windows 8 on a pc running winXP Professional SP3 32-bit and after going through all the stages i expected that in the final one it would give me 3 options : 1) Install now 2) Create media and 3) Install later from your desktop . Instead of those i only had the options to install now or later from my desktop . What can i do in order to be able to create a boot dvd from an iso file ? Should i run windows 8 upgrade advisor again ? And a final question : where were the files downloaded stored in my hard disk (perhaps in ESD folder) ? Can i create an .iso file for a boot dvd of windows 8 from those files ?

I hope there is a workaround for this problem .

Best wishes to you all , Peter    

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 4,037 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I had the same issue, and I've managed to sort this with the help of instruction provided in this thread:

This is what I needed to do:

1/ Install Windows 8 using the "install now" option.
2/ When that is all done, go to https://www.mswos.com/ and enter in the required info, and then re-download Windows by clicking on the link "Click here to download Windows 8."
3/ After the download is complete, the "Install by creating media" option is now there.
4/ Create ISO and burn to DVD.
5/ Chuck DVD in tray, restart computer, and onwards with the clean install. 
6/ Mission complete.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

If you have other PC with windows 7 and you download again the windows 8 upgrade form the m

ail they send to you after buying it you get the burning media choice.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am also encountering the problem that the "Install by creating media" option is missing on Windows XP. I was able to get around it by running the Windows 8 Pro installer on an earlier installation of the Windows 8 Release Candidate that I had on another partition on my hard disk. In the Windows 8 RC, the option to "Install by creating media" showed up correctly, I created the ISO, and went from there.

It does look like there is a bug in the Windows 8 Pro installer when running on Windows XP: it would be good for someone at Microsoft to confirm this and provide a patch. I suspect there are still many users running Windows XP who wish to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro.

My system: Windows XP SP3, with all patches installed.

Sorry this didn't help.

OK, I can see how this works and it makes sense BUT the one time I tried the INSTALL NOW option it went really slow and when I came back to it there was an error message.  I clicked OK and it went back to the Windows XP desktop.

Effectively I have paid £25 for a shortcut on my desktop.

Sorry this didn't help.

After spending a good couple of hours yesterday talking to Microsoft, and getting nowhere,again today I have been trying to get help but with no satisfactory outcome!

I must have now spoken to around ten people.  They fail to listen to what your problem is and in most cases have simply pointed me to downloading the installer again, which still gives me only two options.

The last person I spoke to on the Answer Desk advised me that Windows XP does not have the ability to handle ISO files so that is why I do not have the option.  They said that I would need to install Windows 8 via the installer first THEN I would be able to burn a DVD with the ISO.  I can't imagine that every user with Windows XP is having this same problem as surely there would be more reports.

Support from Microsoft is an UTTER SHAMBLES.  I'm not just bashing them because they're the big company that everybody loves to hate, I've given them enough time and enough chances to rectify the problem I am having but with no successful resolution.

I'm going to give the installer one last try and if that doesn't work I'm getting a refund and calling it a day.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have exactly same problem, I also downloaded once from the link in my email microsoft sent, but with no luck. anyway, I use install now option installed windows 8, but after I found out the windows is 32 bits, I wanted the 64 bit edition. then i checked lots of forums and found out the only way I can do is to buy the installation DVD, I have to spend another 15$.

I am just wondering if Microsoft did this on purpose??? now I want my Money back, can I?

Sorry this didn't help.

You can download your purchased copy of Windows 8 via this website

http://www.mswos.com

This is the Windows Order Summary webpage, if you enter your Order number correctly, you should be able to re-download your Windows 8 Product and burn it to a DvD.

Sorry this didn't help.

You can download your purchased copy of Windows 8 via this website

http://www.mswos.com

This is the Windows Order Summary webpage, if you enter your Order number correctly, you should be able to re-download your Windows 8 Product and burn it to a DvD.

You must be about the tenth person to give that answer and on each occasion it's been no help. The problem here was that no matter what set-up file you downloaded there were only ever TWO OPTIONS, never an option to burn to media.

Any way, without any help from MS as they were next to useless, I have now resolved the problem myself.

Sorry this didn't help.

* PROBLEM SOLVED *

To cut a (very) long and (very) tedious story short I have now managed to burn the ISO to DVD and install Windows 8.  I had to install Windows 7 on a virtual machine within Windows XP and then download the installer within W7, this then gave the media option.

I don't know if this was connected but when I was doing the W8 install it froze and only continued after I had unplugged a USB card reader which was using two USB ports.

Anyhow, absolutely no thanks go to Microsoft for the non-existent customer support.  After using Twitter, the community, technet and telephone support over a period of three days NOBODY could provide me with an answer to this problem, in fact on most occasions the people answering didn't even seem to read what the problem was before directing me to download the installer.

It's been a sorry affair and dented my confidence in MS.

Sorry this didn't help.

U can check this link out, it has instructions on how you can easily do it without any third party software, re-download or additional hassle

http://www.aheil.de/2012/10/28/because-youve-been-so-impatient-with-the-upgrade-assistant-how-to-get-the-windows-8-iso-file/

Sorry this didn't help.