Help with upgrading from Windows XP 32-bit to Windows 8 64-bit

Okay. Currently, I have Windows 7 64-bit installed on my laptop. I have licenses for Windows XP 32-bit and Windows 7 64-bit. I want to dual-boot Windows 7 and Windows 8 (64-bit), so I'm going to install my 32-bit Windows XP license on my laptop (dual booting with 7), then upgrade XP to 8. However, the website SEEMS to indicate that I have to purchase a disc for an upgrade like this, where I'm going from 32-bit XP to 64-bit Windows 8.

I want to know two things:

1. Is that correct?

2. Why? Can't I just download the software, create a bootable USB drive, and boot from that to install Windows 8?

I'd really like to just get the download, not a disc, because I don't wanna have to pay an extra 30 bucks!

|

Hi Dorekk,

Thank you for asking question in Microsoft Community. I will give my best to help you.

From your issue description, I understand that you want to create a bootable USB drive to upgrade from windows XP to Windows 8. If I am wrong, please let me know.

When performing the upgrade process the upgrade assistant determines your existing architecture, downloads the same architecture and installs. (In your case it is 32 bit).

Currently you  do not have the option. you need to buy Windows 8 DVD.

Below is a web page that has additional information regarding Windows 8: 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8        

If you want more help reply us. We are happy to help you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Dorekk,

Thank you for asking question in Microsoft Community. I will give my best to help you.

From your issue description, I understand that you want to create a bootable USB drive to upgrade from windows XP to Windows 8. If I am wrong, please let me know.

When performing the upgrade process the upgrade assistant determines your existing architecture, downloads the same architecture and installs. (In your case it is 32 bit).

Having upgraded from 32bit XP using the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant and having found I now have 32bit Windows 8..... Can you please tell me that if I now order the offered backup disc whether that will be shipped with 64bit as well as 32bit Windows 8?

Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Dorekk,

Having upgraded from 32bit XP using the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant and having found I now have 32bit Windows 8..... Can you please tell me that if I now order the offered backup disc whether that will be shipped with 64bit as well as 32bit Windows 8?

Thanks.

Yes, they will be shipped with both 32 and 64 bit.
Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay. Currently, I have Windows 7 64-bit installed on my laptop. I have licenses for Windows XP 32-bit and Windows 7 64-bit. I want to dual-boot Windows 7 and Windows 8 (64-bit), so I'm going to install my 32-bit Windows XP license on my laptop (dual booting with 7), then upgrade XP to 8. However, the website SEEMS to indicate that I have to purchase a disc for an upgrade like this, where I'm going from 32-bit XP to 64-bit Windows 8.

I want to know two things:

1. Is that correct?

2. Why? Can't I just download the software, create a bootable USB drive, and boot from that to install Windows 8?

I'd really like to just get the download, not a disc, because I don't wanna have to pay an extra 30 bucks!

You could make the purchase from the within your 64 bit version of Windows 7, then create a bootable DVD for 64 bit Windows 8.

Clicking "Download Pro" installs and runs the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant, which lets you know if your PC can upgrade to Windows 8 Pro, provides you with a compatibility report, and then walks you through the steps to purchase, download, and install. Run the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant to make sure your PC can upgrade to Windows 8 Pro before purchase—you can run it without purchasing. Upgrade Assistant will collect certain information about your potential upgrade experience. Learn more about privacy and the Upgrade Assistant.

Step 1: Use the Upgrade Assistant to qualify the PC and pay the $40 (US)

Step 2: When the "Install Windows 8" message appears, select "Install by creating media" to create a bootable USB flash drive or an .iso (a disk image) file.

Step 3: Wait for the Assistant to download the Windows 8 Pro installation package and create the bootable media or .iso file. The flash drive must be have 3GB or more of free space available.

Step 4: Burn the .iso file, if that's the path you chose, to a blank DVD.

Step 5: Use that USB drive or DVD to boot the PC.

Step 6: When you get to the screen in Setup that asks, "Which type of installation do you want?' choose "Custom."

Step 7: Select a disk partition for the OS in the next screen. At this point, you can create a new partition if there's enough space available, or reformat the drive.

Step 8: Continue with the installation of Windows 8 Pro.

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Excellent! That's what I figured. I assumed it was possible but the instructions just weren't detailed enough or didn't take into account the fact that people might have two licenses, or are dual booting.

Will I have to install XP on the computer at all (currently it's not installed), or can I just do it from Windows 7, install as per your instructions (the same instructions I used for installing the Windows 8 Consumer Preview, essentially), then input my Windows XP license when it asks for a license?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 704 Applies to: