Getting an error “Couldn't create new partition or locate existing one. For more information, see Setup log file" error message” while trying to install Windows 8

* Original Title: Win 8 Won't install - Error Message: Couldn't create new partition...

I did have Win XP on my Dell Dimension 5150 which is dual boot with Linux Mint 12 Lisa and the latter is my preferred boot.

I have purchased the Windows Pro 8 DVD from an Australian retail outlet.

Win XP was on a 39GB partition with other application files. I had to delete many files to get the necessary free space for WIN 8 and eventually ended up Formatting the partition and going for a COMPLETE new install.

Unfortunately I now get the "Couldn't create new partition or locate existing one. For more information, see Setup log file" error message. I cannot find a Setup log file as I am doing a boot from DVD.

I tried removing all external drives and other USB peripherals including my Modem but still had my Mouse/Keyboard USB connected.

The two internal HDD are as follows:
Disk 0 Partition 1 - 110 GB - System (LINUX)
Disk 0 Partition 2 - 3.5 GB - Logical

Disk 1 Partition 1 - 47 MB - OEM (reserved) [DellUtility]
Disk 1 Partition 2:Win - 39.1 GB - System
Disk 1 Partition 3:DATA - 39.1 GB - Logical
Disk 1 Partition 4:OfficeProgs - 19.5 GB - Logical
Disk 1 Partition 5:PROJECTS - 39.1 GB - Logical
etc to Partition 8 with 9MB Unallocated Space.

I have tried both the 64 and 32 disks with the same result.

As I now no longer have any Windows on my computer what is the next step? If any ;-)

Question Info

Last updated May 14, 2019 Views 71,411 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hello there,

I solved the problem. It appears that you can not install to a secondary partition with within a previous version of windows. You have to restart the computer and run the installation from a dvd or some other medium.  Once you get the installation running you should be able to install to another partition with no problems.

Have A Good Day

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.