Getting an error “0xC004F061” after installing Windows 8 on the computer

* Original Title: Error Code oxC004F061

I just bought a hard copy of Windows 8 and installed it on my computer I built myself. There were no previous versions of Windows on this computer and it said its for upgrades only not clean installs. Any help?

Question Info

Last updated June 9, 2019 Views 39,454 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi BretLittle,

Thank you for the post. I am sorry to hear that you are getting an error “0xC004F061” after installing Windows 8 on the computer.

I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. I will definitely help you with this.

If you see error 0xC004F061 when you try to activate Windows 8, it means that you're using a product key for an upgrade version of Windows 8 and a previous version of Windows wasn't on your PC when Windows 8 was installed. To install an upgrade version of Windows 8, you must already have Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP installed on your PC.

If you formatted the drive before the upgrade version of Windows 8 was installed, you won't be able to use your upgrade product key to activate Windows 8. To activate Windows 8, you'll need to install your previous version of Windows, and then reinstall Windows 8.

For more information, visit the following links and check.

Why can't I activate Windows?

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows-8/why-activate-windows

How to contact a Microsoft Product Activation Center by telephone

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929/en-us?wa=wsignin1.0

If the issue persists, please do not hesitate to let us know. It is our pleasure to be of assistance.

K.Z. Sharief Khan
Ex-Microsoft Forum Moderator

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi guys,

I bought a full version of Windows 8 - Microsoft have even confirmed to me via phone that my code is legit for a full version - yet I'm also getting up this message :-(.

Sorry this didn't help.

i had this same problem not upgrade version,        ms techs are not trained for this, yet

I've been on the phone twice, this person just started yesterday, had me on the phone 15 mins. hold twice, now transferring me, another 5-10 min wait she said. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Same exact problem.  I preordered windows 8 pro full version that comes with 32 bit and 64 bit versions.  I also am getting this error and am unable to activate my legit copy of windows 8.  this is why you guys fail.  fix this or im going back to mac.

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue here.

I purchased Windows 8 Pro.  It does NOT say "upgrade" anywhere on the box or on the included key card.  Additionally, it does not mention a previous installation of Windows on the "System requirements".

This needs to be fixed.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem, i buy 2 copies from office depot, one work and the other copy send me that message

Sorry this didn't help.

I bought mine from Microsoft 2 and a half hours it was released. They gave me a free upgrade to the Pro Edition. I was like, sweet! So I went and got an new computer and slapped it together. It's a pretty sweet machine too! Anyway, I installed it on my new SSD, and off it went. So, in messing with things in the settings of Windows 8, I managed to need to reinstall. So no issue, I slapped in the disc and off it went. Then it wants me to activate after, and I'm all, heck ya , do it! All of a sudden, the key is a upgrade key and I'm dumb? ERROR YOU CANT DO THIS!, the computer yelled. So, in conclusion. I have this same error. :)

(Waiting to call MS in the morning to have a good talk with them)

Sorry this didn't help.

I recently upgraded to win 8 pro from win 7 pro. there was some problem with my system, so i made a clean install of win 8 pro. after that its shows my key is invalid. & the solution : install win 7 pro & install win 8 pro . Doesn't sound stupid ? i used genuine os from win xp till nw. every 1 laughed @ me y ur wasting money ins getting a os (bcoz they said 2 go 4 a free pirate ver) I dont like piracy. This is what u do 4 a buyer. i tell every1 to buy a genuine os atleast, now seems like i have 2 thk again. i feel very bad microsoft. my worst exp of installing a os :( :( :(

Sorry this didn't help.

Sharief

Are there any sensible solutions to this problem yet....?

I bought a new PC ...upgraded to windows 8 but have now swapped out Hard Drive to an SSD.

The PC did not come with disks for windows 7 so I could not re-install windows 7 even If I  wanted to ....this situation is ludicrous!

Why can we not validate the upgrade with a previous version product key, as with adobe upgrades....?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue here - Boxed version of Windows 8 full product - not upgrade. When attempting to activate I get the error saying this is licensed for upgrade only. Has anyone resolved this yet? Phone activation? Thoughts on where the problem is? Screw-up in the activation server or in the product keys put in the packaging?

Pete

Sorry this didn't help.