Error "This program is blocked by Group Policy. For more info, contact your System Administrator." while downloading program.

Original title: virus

I cant download new programs, change date or make some changes to my computer, this is the message I get''''''this program is blocked by group policy. For more information contact your system administrator' 'how can I resolve this problem.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 1,008 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hello,

Thanks for posting your query to Microsoft forum. I will certainly help you with this.

I would like to know;

1. Is your computer connected through a domain network?
  2. Did you make any significant hardware or software changes to the computer prior to this issue?
  3. Do you have any other security software installed in the system or one that you uninstalled earlier?

The issue might arise due to lack of permissions due to remnants of some program in the registry uninstalled earlier. To further diagnose the issue, I would suggest you to try the following methods and check if the issue persists.

Method 1:

Run the following fixit and check if the remnants of any security software uninstalled earlier are cleared.

Fix problems that programs cannot be installed or uninstalled

Method 2:

Give full permission to your user account and check if it helps.

Follow the steps to give full permission:

a.       Press Windows key + R, type regedit.exe in the Run dialog box and press Enter.

b.      Right click the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and click Permissions.

c.       Click on Add in Security tab and add a new group: Everyone.

d.      Select Everyone and check the option: Full Control.

e.      Restart the computer and check if the issue is resolved or not.

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/en-us

Method 3: 

Please refer the suggestions provided by HappyAndyK on April 26, 2014.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-security/group-policy-on-windows-81-issue/8a524894-fa6c-41ae-9e26-29ec4ccca36c

System Restore disclaimer: When you use System Restore to restore the computer to a previous state, programs and updates that you installed are removed.

Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to help you further.

Thanks & Regards,

Isha Soni

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.