dpc_watchdog_violation during windows 8 upgrade

Dear Team,

I have just bought the win8 pro upgrade through microsoft's website. I am running win7 at the moment, during the upgrade process, it prompts out a blue screen with an error code: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION. Is there any reason and what I can do for that? What type of information should I provide? Please help me out on this, thanks team.

Regards, 
Andy

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 688 Applies to:
Hi Andy,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. Based on your post, I understand you are not able to upgrade to Windows 8 it prompts you with an blue screen error:DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION.

1. Here is what you can try if you have multiple monitors update the display drivers
2. If this does not help you can also try unisntall the anti virus program and then try Windows 8 upgrade again.

if the above 2 troubleshooting steps does not work you can perform cleanboot to your computer and then try to install Windows 8 again.

Follow these steps to start the computer in clean boot.
Step 1:

a) Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.
b) In the ‘Run’ windows type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.
c) Click the ‘Boot’ tab and uncheck ‘Safe Boot’ option.
d) On the ‘General’ tab, click to select the option ‘Selective startup’, and then click to clear the option Load startup items check box.
e) On the ‘Services’ tab, click to select the ‘Hide all Microsoft services’ check box, and then click ‘Disable all’.
f) On the ‘StartUp’ tab, click ‘Open Task Manager’. In the Task Manager window under startup tab, right click on each startup item which are enabled and select ‘Disable’.
g) Click ‘OK’, and then click Restart.
Step 2: Enable half of the services
a. Follow steps 1a and 1b to start the System Configuration utility.
b. Click the Services tab, and then click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box.
c. Click to select half of the check boxes in the Service list.
d. Click OK, and then click Restart.
e. Try to install media center pack on Windows 8 Pro.
f. Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.
g. In the ‘Run’ windows type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.
h. On the ‘General’ tab, click the ‘Normal Startup’ option, and then click ‘OK’.
i. When you are prompted to restart the computer, click ‘Restart’.
j. Once the computer is completely restarted try to see if the media center pack installed working fine.

If you need any further help, please reply to us and we will be glad to help you further.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your help, however, I've tried some silly thing before I read your post. I've created the Windows 8 USB drive and try to install it during the boot up. And I have formatted the drive during the installation process also, but sadly, the same error comes out when it reach the "getting device prepare" at 91%...

I am not sure if this is because of my hardware, I am using the HP microserver n40l with 8GB ram installed. I am not sure if this is the case....

And now I will try to install windows 7 and upgrade again and see how it goes, if you have any other methods, please help to let me know, thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your help, however, I've tried some silly thing before I read your post. I've created the Windows 8 USB drive and try to install it during the boot up. And I have formatted the drive during the installation process also, but sadly, the same error comes out when it reach the "getting device prepare" at 91%...

I am not sure if this is because of my hardware, I am using the HP microserver n40l with 8GB ram installed. I am not sure if this is the case....

And now I will try to install windows 7 and upgrade again and see how it goes, if you have any other methods, please help to let me know, thanks.

I also have this problem with a HP Microserver N40L and 8GB of RAM. Windows 7 works fine. Windows 8 crashes during upgrade or clean installation with DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION. The same also happens with Windows Server 2012.

I managed to install Windows 8 on the N40L by removing the 8GB of memory and replacing with the HP supplied 2GB ECC memory stick. However, upon installation of the 2x 4GB DIMMS, the DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION message reappears and the installation becomes unbootable.

Sorry this didn't help.

Referring to this post:  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-system/dpcwatchdogvoilation-after-install-windows-8/bf4959fd-d9ca-4425-8aa4-2b7b0a41b196

I have upgraded the network card driver, though the error did not appear again, however, now I have come to another situation which is the windows stays on the loading screen all the time without loading anything from the hard drive. Please help if the team has any idea or solution for that, thanks.

Regards, 

Sorry this didn't help.

Andy

I was able to get this working by disabling the onboard nic in the bios - or you can run through the install without the nvidia gt520 card in but as soon as you reconnect it it hangs on boot (spinning) or gives the DPC watchdog error. Safe mode will workbut I am still to work out the cause.

cheers

Ken

Sorry this didn't help.

Hmm ok just got a N40L with a GT620..and i have the same problem as above!
Disabling the NIC does work, but i need that NIC!

Sorry this didn't help.

It must be a driver conflict since it will boot in safe mode with the graphics card and the nic enabled. I need the nic as well.... The tp-link wireless adapter ive been using is not very reliable and keeps dropping off.

I'll look at it over Christmas and see if I can work it out

Sorry this didn't help.

yeah its weird..
i also tried the proper nvidia drivers (in case the MS ones were conflicting with the NIC drivers)...but no go there as well

damn...other ppl with AMD vid cards dont seem to have any prob! and here i was thinking that nvidia would be more stable...

Sorry this didn't help.

ok so..i gave up..
went and bought an ATI/AMD vid card..
and now everything works fine.

as u mentioned, seems to be some sort of conflict between vid card & NIC
ah well..lesson learnt

Sorry this didn't help.