Downgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 7, black screen.

I installed Windows 8, and it wasn't for me so I put in the disk that came with the computer (Alienware x51) to re install Windows 7. The computer restarted as part of the installation, but when it started up again, nothing happened on the screen. The lights are on and the fan is too. I probably shouldn't have, but I turned it off and then on again, and the same thing happened. When I press caps lock, the keyboard lights up, the the computer is on.

What do I do?
Answer
Answer

Please see the following instructions thanks to Amrita M, Microsoft Support, Moderator:

...you may check if you are able to boot in safe mode. To boot in safe mode first remove the Windows 7 DVD from the drive and press F8 key.

Check if you are able to boot to the desktop now. If you are able to boot to the desktop without any error message, go to device manager and disable the display adapters and check if you are able to boot into normal mode.

If you get an error message saying that ‘installation cannot be completed in safe mode’, then press Shift+F10 key. That will open Command Prompt, from command prompt open Device Manager by typing ‘devmgmt.msc’ in the command prompt and then disable the display adapters and check if you are able to boot in normal mode.

If this allows you to boot to the normal mode and complete the installation process then go ahead and first update the display adapter drivers from the manufacturer’s website and check if the computer works fine.

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 244 Applies to: