Clean install Win 8 Pro (64bit) $40 upgrade over "Windows 8 Enterprise Evaluation" when I own a legitimate copy of Windows XP 32 bit?

Hello guru's and experts!

Apologies if this has already been asked - I did search, but didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

- I'm Currently running "Windows 8 Enterprise Evaluation" (64bit). So I know that Win 8 Pro 64bit should work on my current machine. And i *KNOW* that i have to clean install anything over this version as it stated that it expires after 90 days and is not upgradeable.

- I Own a legit copy of XP 32 bit which isn't installed on any other PC at the moment. So I *should* be eligible for the $40 upgrade because i own xp (right?)

- Ideally I want to buy $40 upgrade and *clean install* Windows 8 Pro 64 bit on my machine that's currently running the evaluation version of win 8. 

- I don't care about data loss. At the moment its a test setup to see if my apps I developed will work. Everything is already backed up.

So here are the questions:

1. Is it possible to do a clean install using the win 8 pro upgrade (download version)?

2. If not, what is the closest I can get to doing this at lowest cost (do I have to install 32 bit xp on my machine first?)?

3. Do I have to buy a dvd copy of the upgrade, or can i just burn the download version to a dvd? I want to avoid paying extra if i can.

Thanks,
Alex

I want to know the same thing, I'm on a tight budget myself but want to keep up to date with the latest Microsoft OS. 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Wixzard,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Answer’s Community.

I see that you are trying to install Windows 8 Pro with a legitimate copy of Windows Xp 32 bit. I will definitely help you to install Windows 8 Pro on your computer.

You cannot upgrade from Windows 8 Enterprise Evaluation to Windows 8 Pro. You will have to do a custom install.

If you are running the trial version of Windows 8 Enterprise Evaluation (90 day trial) then you will have to uninstall, reinstall a full genuine license (Windows XP 32 bit), then proceed to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro.

Windows 8 Enterprise Evaluation 90 day trial cannot be used as a qualifying license.

1. Is it possible to do a clean install using the Win 8 pro upgrade (download version)?

I am afraid that you will not be able to do clean install using the Windows 8 Upgrade (download version).

2. If not, what is the closest I can get to doing this at lowest cost (do I have to install 32 bit xp on my machine first)?

Yes you will have to install full genuine license Windows XP 32 bit and then proceed with Windows 8 Pro upgrade.

3. Do I have to buy a DVD copy of the upgrade, or can I just burn the download version to a DVD?

You can either buy a DVD copy for upgrade or burn the download version to a DVD. Once the download is done you will have an option to create an ISO file or bootable flash drive for use to install on another PC. You can then create an ISO file or bootable flash drive and do a clean install of Windows 8 Pro using the media.

Please refer to the link below for more details on Windows 8 upgrade:

Please revert to us if you any further queries.

Thanks,

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your response Divya.

Can you confirm one extra piece of information for me?

If I burn the downloaded version to a DVD, will I get the option to choose a 64bit version? As I *do not* want 32 bit. I want to install 64bit Windows 8 over a 32 bit XP

Many other forum posts seem to say that you cannot go from 32bit XP -> 64bit Win 8 with the upgrade download (and that you must buy a dvd copy).

Can you (or someone else) post an in depth how-to with screenshots of a successful upgrade from 32 bit XP to 64bit Win 8 using the downloaded version only?

Alex

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Everyone,

I would just like to confirm that as of the writing of this post - the response from Divya above appears to be WRONG!

Many other forum posts out there saying you cannot use upgrade assisstant to go from 32bit  to 64bit.

After more and more reading I have successfully used the $40 upgrade - here was my workaround.

*** MY METHOD - mix of ideas and methods found on these forums already ***

1. Ran upgrade assistant on my 32bit machine and purchased the upgrade for $39.95

2. Aborted the upgrade assistant as soon as it gave me the Licence Key (obviously I wrote it down first) - this is important. DO NOT CONTINUE TO DOWNLOAD, just quit as soon as you get the licence key

3. Downloaded and installed "Windows 8 Release Preview" I had build 8400 64bit on my main machine. Please note Windows 8 Release to Manufacturer version WONT work with this method. Also backup anything you want to keep BEFORE you install the release preview. I wasn't concerned about data loss.

4. Go to this website:

5. Clicked Install Windows 8 (remember I'm now trying to install windows 8 pro over a copy of "Windows 8 Release Preview" 64 bit.

6. Went through all the dialogues - put in the product key from  step 2 - downloaded Win 8 Pro

7. I chose to convert to ISO and then burn to DVD

8. Inserted DVD into my machine and ran upgrade

9. When it asked for the Product Key - I put in the key from step 2 again

10. Chose "keep nothing" as I wasn't concerned about data loss 

11. Let Windows 8 Pro upgrade do its thing.

12. I now have a machine running 64bit Windows 8 Pro after purchasing the upgrade on a 32bit installation. The important point is to ABORT the upgrade assistant on the 32bit machine as soon as you get the product key.

I recommend you read up on other peoples experiences in doing this on these forums just to make sure that you really know what you are doing before you try this. As I mentioned - I didn't care about data loss. Also I had to install Windows 8 Release Preview to be able to download the 64bit version of Windows 8 Pro upgrade. So its definetly a messy soution, requiring 3 OS installs (32bit XP/Vista/Win7 -> 64bit Win 8 Release Preview -> 64bit Win 8 Pro upgrade)

Good luck!!!!

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 1,132 Applies to: