Cannot perform clean install ow Windows 8. 0xc0000001

Hello,

I seem to be in quite a pickle and am hoping somebody might be able to help me out.

I recently built my own PC, and previously had windows 8 up and running, however, I was having an issue where I would get a blue screen every time I would perform a soft reset.

I tried doing the automatic repair, but would always get a blue screen with an error 0xc00000221. I didn't have much on the drive, so decided that I would just do a clean install of Windows 8.

Using Pmagic, I deleted the C: partition and created a new NTFS partition in its place. I then went in to the bios to make sure my boot sequence was set up properly, and the DVD begins to boot(I get the windows logo) however, after about 30 seconds, I get a blue screen saying:

Recovery:

Your pc needs to be repaired.

file:\windows\system32\winload.exe The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors.

Error Code: 0xc0000001

You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media. If you don't have any installation media(like a disc or usb device) contact your system administrator or pc manufacturer

press Enter to try again

press F8 for start-up settings

I have an old XP machine as well, so formatted my usb drive to be UEFI compliant and copied the files from the disc to the thumb drive, and tried that. I got the same error. I then downloaded the 8.1 preview image, and burned that to a disc. Got the same error. I then tried the 8.1 image on the thumb drive, but got the same error.

I went back in my bios in case it might have been something else. I was overclocking my cpu, so I loaded the optimized defaults, and reset my cpu to its default speed. I tried both secure boot on and off, UEFI and legacy mode, but I am at a loss. There is no OS whatsoever on the machine now, so not sure why I am having this problem.

Here is a breakdown of my machine:

Intel I7 3770k

Asus P8Z77-v Pro; Firmware 2003(latest, and reflashed yesterday)

Corsair 16gb CL9 Memory

Asus BW-14D1XT Blu-Ray writer

EVGA GTX 680 Classified 4GB

XFX Pro Series 1000W PSU 80+Platinum

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Answer
Answer
I actually solved the problem myself. The issue was with my RAM. Even though my RAM was rated 1600Mhz, I was getting crazy errors in memetest86.

I went in to my bios and set the RAM speed to "auto" and it set it to 1333Mhz, and then there were no errors in Memtest86, and the original WIndows 8 DVD would load properly.

I reseated my ram, and swapped dimm slots, and tried cranking the memory back up to 1600Mhz, but was getting errors in memtest86 again.

I'll probably RMA the ram as it supposed to be graded for 1600Mhz

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 7, 2024 Views 596 Applies to: