Cannot install applications in Windows 8

I'm having trouble installing applications on Windows 8 (single language) edition.

Current situation:
- OEM install, Asus S200E (Core i3 / 4Gb RAM).  
- Windows 8 has been updated and patched to current levels.

Thing's tried:
- Disabling non-microsoft services in boot profile, then retrying install (start / run / msconfig.exe)
- Explicit command elevation to administrator when launching install
- Running install with Windows 7 compatibility
- Built in administrator account enabled, running with this account (cmd.exe with elevation, net user administrator /active:yes)
- Verified SYSTEM account priviledges in C:\Program Files + Program Files (x86) + ProgramData
- Only Microsoft Defender for anti-virus, no other third party anti-virus software installed (should have been covered in clean boot profile).

Installs failed:
- iTunes
- Visual Studio 2012 Express

Common problems: Both of these applications fail at the step where they have to alter or create files in C:\Program Files. I've verified that the SYSTEM account has the correct privileges to that folder (Full Control to the folder, modify etc. for subfolders), and that TrustedInstaller is the owner of the directory. 

[0D9C:1640][2013-04-27T17:25:00]: MUX:  ExecuteError: Package (win8express_coremsi) failed: Error Message Id: 1317 ErrorMessage: Error 1317.An error occurred while attempting to create the directory: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Visual Studio 2012

Itunes failes with something similar however it is in the Program Files folder.

I didn't have this problem before this week and wonder if it was potentially a problem with a recent patch to Windows 8 ...

Has anyone else encountered anything similar?

Regards, pakmingw
Answer
Answer
Hi all,

Thanks  for the replies -- I managed to work it out in the end, it was to do with permissions on a folder in ProgramData. Permissions were not being propegated from the parent folder, so it was a case of looking through the install logs to find out where the offending folder was and reapplying the correct permissions (i.e. NT Service\TrustedInstaller needs to be the owner of the folder).

Once you apply this, the install proceeds fine.

Cheers, Pak

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 9, 2019 Views 1,234 Applies to: