Can you upgrade a brand new Acer tablet with Windows 8, 32 bit (not RT version) to a Windows 8 Pro?

I just got an Acer w510 which has Windows 8  (not the RT version).  I have another PC that had Windows 7 home edition which I successfully upgraded online to Windows 8 Pro.  I like the Pro version and wanted to know if I can go online and buy the download Windows 8 Pro for my new Acer?  I tried to look for existing answers about this particular question, but none matched.  Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 397 Applies to:

No, you can not use the web based installer to upgrade you Windows 8 tablet to Windows 8 Pro, the web based installer is only for upgrading previous versions of windows (W7, Vista & XP)

To upgrade your Windows 8 Tablet to Windows 8 Pro, personally I am not aware of any method at this time, the only upgrade available is by DVD and you do not have a DVD player, also if you purchased the DVD, again I am unable to say whether you will be able to copy to a USB flash.

Other forum members may have information of the method  / procedure required.

I will do research and advise results.

I am not sure if the tablet upgrade process has actually been set yet.

A computer is a device, that requires human input to operate efficiently.
Alas we humans do fail!!!!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

No, you can not use the web based installer to upgrade you Windows 8 tablet to Windows 8 Pro, the web based installer is only for upgrading previous versions of windows (W7, Vista & XP)

To upgrade your Windows 8 Tablet to Windows 8 Pro, personally I am not aware of any method at this time, the only upgrade available is by DVD and you do not have a DVD player, also if you purchased the DVD, again I am unable to say whether you will be able to copy to a USB flash.

Other forum members may have information of the method  / procedure required.

I will do research and advise results.

I am not sure if the tablet upgrade process has actually been set yet.

I found a link on this forum that took me to Mircosoft page where it very clearly states that you can upgrade online and gives you step by step process to purchase ($69) the pro pack and install.  I am attempting it now and will let you know if it worked OK or not.

Here's the link to that page.  Thank you.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs

Sorry this didn't help.

I understand and have previously read the page, but I am not sure if the process will actually give you the Pro Pack or just the WMC. (I used it to upgrade my PC to WMC)

As you say try it, if it does not work the statements made are very misleading to say this least.

Very interested in results.

Try this;

Do a search on 'Start' screen for 'Add features to Windows 8 ' > Settings  > Add features to windows 8 > select ' I want to purchase a product on line > (You can 'Cancel' at anytime) > the only item for purchase is WMC.   Note. They may intend to add the Pro Pack in the future but it is not available at this time.

I think MS stuff up. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I understand and have previously read the page, but I am not sure if the process will actually give you the Pro Pack or just the WMC. (I used it to upgrade my PC to WMC)

As you say try it, if it does not work the statements made are very misleading to say this least.

Very interested in results.

Try this;

Do a search on 'Start' screen for 'Add features to Windows 8 ' > Settings  > Add features to windows 8 > select ' I want to purchase a product on line > (You can 'Cancel' at anytime) > the only item for purchase is WMC.   Note. They may intend to add the Pro Pack in the future but it is not available at this time.

I think MS stuff up. 

This is the result:  On my tablet, I click on propertys of the PC and the window's edition now reads:
"Windows 8 Pro with Media Center".  Before I did the upgrade, the windows edition just said "windows 8".  It also looks like the pro is taking up an addition 2GB out of the hard drive. 

That said, unfortunately, the whole reason I wanted to upgrade to Pro is because the Win 8 version did not allow me to do Ad Hoc Networking and after looking online, it appeared that a lot of people are saying that they are  unhappy about this feature being removed.  I also have another tablet that had Windows 7 on it and I already had done the online upgrade to Windows 8 Pro, which I am very happy with and for some reason that I can't explain, this older unit with the Pro version allows AdHoc Networking.  This is why I thought if I upgraded the new machine to a pro version, I will have that feature.  But it still will not do Ad Hoc networking. 

It also seems that lots of folks who are much more tech savvy have figured out a"netsh" work around on windows 8 through CMD, but it doesn't seem to be a good solution.

Any tips on the ad hoc networking problem will be useful.   Thx.

Sorry this didn't help.

So the answer is, Yes, by using the 'Add feature to Windows 8, will add the Pro Pack to a PC / laptop/ tablet.

This cost you nothing and yet MS are charging $69 to purchase the DVD.

What key did you use to install.  

Re. Ad Hoc reading thru all the references, this is no longer supprted in Windows 8, ther are some 3rd party programs / hacks that have some degree of success.

Another MS decision

Sorry this didn't help.

This did  cost me $69, the free part is if you already have pro, then they give you for free the product key for the media center.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks, it's just clarified a few points, because there is discussion in other post, that by using the free offer you can get Pro Pack for nothing, because these statements appears at the top & bottom of the free offer page.

For a limited time, get Windows 8 Pro Pack for $69.99 *

* Offer valid from October 26, 2012, until January 31, 2013, and is limited to five licenses per customer per promotion. To install Windows 8 Pro Pack, you must be running Windows 8. Internet access fees may apply. Prices shown are estimated retail prices; actual price may vary by retailer. If you purchase a new PC with Windows 8 preinstalled and you later upgrade that PC with Windows 8 Pro Pack, Windows 8 Media Center Pack, a volume license edition, or a retail edition, you will no longer be able to install apps that are provided exclusively from your PC manufacturer through the Windows Store. Get the full details on our special offers.

Which I will admit seems to add some confusion to the subject.

Have great Xmas & New Year.

Sorry this didn't help.