Can I remove Windows 8 from one computer and install on the other?

Original Title: Could someone from Microsoft help me understand a thing, please?

Hello.
Could someone from Microsoft help me understand a thing, please?

I bought a win 8 pro using my activated vista oem. In the EULA it's stated that I can install it on another computer of mine with the condition to uninstall it from the first one. On April I intend to buy a new computer and judging from what I'm reading in the Eula I will be able to install win 8 pro on it.

If I am right could you please explain me what the procedure will be?

- I have to install win vista (already certified) and after that win 8?
- Will I be able to make a clean install without any other win version and still activate it?
- Will I be able to activate it at that moment or I will have to call customer support from my country and ask them to re-activate it?
- If yes, it's my right to ask this or they will decide depending their mood?

Please help me clarify what will be the exact steps.

PS: I am traveling from time to time (5-6 months). At home I need to use my desktop, but when I travel I am taking a laptop with me. Is there a fixed number of re-activation or I am able to change the installation from desktop to laptop and back 2 times/year without any restriction? Is it a max period of time and after that I will not be able to ask for support?

Thanks a lot and please excuse my bad english.

Answer
Answer

Hello.
Could someone from Microsoft help me understand a thing, please?

I bought a win 8 pro using my activated vista oem. In the EULA it's stated that I can install it on another computer of mine with the condition to uninstall it from the first one. On April I intend to buy a new computer and judging from what I'm reading in the Eula I will be able to install win 8 pro on it.

If I am right could you please explain me what the procedure will be?

- I have to install win vista (already certified) and after that win 8?

If you upgrade the current Vista machine to Windows 8 now and would like to transfer the same Windows 8 license to another machine later you will need to first remove Windows 8 from the current machine by either reinstalling Windows Vista or format the drive then you can proceed to transfer Windows 8 to the new machine then you can reactivate the license by telephone on the new machine.

1. Press Windows key + X then clickRun, then type: slui.exe 4

2. Next press the 'ENTER' key

3. Select your 'Country' from the list.

4. Choose the 'Phone Activation' option.

5. Stay on the phone (do not select/press any options) and wait for a person to help you with activation.

6. Explain your problem clearly to the support person.

- Will I be able to make a clean install without any other win version and still activate it?

The machine you are transferring the Windows 8 license to must have a previous qualifying license installed.

- Will I be able to activate it at that moment or I will have to call customer support from my country and ask them to re-activate it?

You will have to reactivate by telephone using the instructions provided above.

- If yes, it's my right to ask this or they will decide depending their mood?

Under reasonable circumstances they will reactivate by telephone.

Please help me clarify what will be the exact steps.

PS: I am traveling from time to time (5-6 months). At home I need to use my desktop, but when I travel I am taking a laptop with me. Is there a fixed number of re-activation or I am able to change the installation from desktop to laptop and back 2 times/year without any restriction? Is it a max period of time and after that I will not be able to ask for support?

You can reactivate as many times as you like on the same machine, but you might need to reactivate by telephone after the 5th time.

Thanks a lot and please excuse my bad english.

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 6,363 Applies to: