Can I install Windows 8 upgrade on a new computer without an operating system?

In 2007, I bought a Dell desktop computer that came with a copy of Windows Vista 32-bit Home Basic. Recently, I decided that I wanted to buy a new CPU WITHOUT an operating system since I had a free copy of Windows 7 Professional (32 or 64 bit) to download and install through the engineering college I graduated from in May of 2011. Well, it turns out I couldn't get the product key I needed for that free OS so ended up downloading a limited version of Windows 7 64-bit Professional for the time being.

My question is...Do I need to buy the full version of Windows 8 Professional (64-bit) for it to work on my new computer or can I get away with purchasing a copy for upgrade (upgrading from my copy of Vista on my old computer)?

Also, if I CAN upgrade, does that mean my copy of Vista can no longer be used on my old computer once I upgrade to Windows 8 on my new one?

Any answers that can point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

In order to install Windows 8 Pro upgrade, you will first need to reinstall your original version of Windows that was running on your computer prior to installing the Windows 8 Release Preview. Whether that is (Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7). After installing it, you can then do an upgrade to Windows 8 Pro. The Windows 8 Release Preview does not support upgrades to Windows 8 Pro.

Reinstall Windows XP:

Install,reinstall, or uninstall Windows - Help & How-to ...

Reinstall Windows Vista: Installing and reinstalling Windows Vista

Reinstall Windows 7:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows-7

14. UPGRADES. To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the software that is eligible for the upgrade. Upon upgrade, this agreement takes the place of the agreement for the software you upgraded from. After you upgrade, you may no longer use the software you upgraded from.

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for the quick reply.

Yeah I guess I don't really NEED to upgrade to Professional anyway, Home Basic will suffice just fine. Looks like my only option if I were to upgrade is to reinstall my copy of Windows Vista onto my new computer then upgrade to Windows 8 (thus forfeiting my Vista OS).

Just another follow-up question:

Is there a way to obtain my product key from my previously installed OS (Vista 32bit Home) to use on my new computer? And if so, can I use that product key for a CD I have of Vista 64bit Home?

Again, thanks for the help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 15, 2019 Views 878 Applies to: