Buy windows 8 DVD in India

I do not see an option to buy Windows 8 Pro Retail (DVD) in India. I am NOT talking about Windows 8 upgrade. I want to buy a Windows 8 stand-alone copy. But I cannot find any retailer who provides Windows 8 Pro in India. 

This is the official Microsoft Buy page for Windows 8:

It does not say anything about retail copies.

Will it be available in India before 2013, so that Ican buy it for the promo price of $69?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community!

Based on your post, I understand that you have issues with purchase or to buy Windows 8 Pro Retail (DVD) in India.

I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. I will definitely help you with this.

To help you suggest more steps to resolve the issue, I would appreciate it if you could answer the following questions

Which operating system do did you have prior to Windows 8 Release Preview version?

Please follow the below methods and check the issue:

Method 1:

I would suggest you to run the Upgrade Assistant:
 The upgrade assistant will check to see if the computer is ready for Windows 8 (checks for the compatibility).

Refer the below link:

Upgrade to Windows 8:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8

Method 2:

Microsoft has announced the Windows 8 upgrade offer for Windows 7 PC users in India at a price of 699. The time period to avail of the Windows Upgrade offer remains the same starting June 2, 2012 to January 31, 2013. Likewise, it isn’t applicable for any Windows 7 PC that has been bought before or after the above mentioned date. It is applicable for those who purchase a new Windows 7 PC that comes preinstalled with original versions of Windows 7 Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional or Ultimate, and that includes a matching and valid OEM certificate of Certificate of Authenticity (COA).

The version of Windows purchased before June 2 2012 can also be upgraded but at a price of 1,999 INR.

The difference between a DVD purchase or a download is that, you will have a bootable media (DVD) that can be used in case you are unable to boot the Windows in future.
A retail copy of the DVD costs 4000 INR.

For more information:

Welcome to the Windows Upgrade Offer.:

http://windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-GB/SelectCulture?previousController=Home&previousAction=Index

FAQ:

http://windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-IN/Home/Faq

Move up from Windows 8 to Windows 8 Pro:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs

You can also contact the phone number in the link below:

https://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-IN/Home/ContactCustomerSupport

If you need any further help, please reply to us.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

i think you have to wait for the full retail product to arrive.

even u.s. e-stores like www.bestbuy.com , www.tigerdirect.com , www.newegg.com have yet to sell full retail products.

windows 8 pro oem is sold at around 139 to 169$.

windows 8 oem is sold around 99$.

windows 8 pro upgrade key is sold around 69$.

or you can choose to download windows 8 pro digital copy at windows store for 39.99$.

this product requires a prior legit installation of windows xp/vista/7 and is available only from october 26, 2012 to january 31, 2013.

Sorry this didn't help.

I dont think you understood my question correctly.

I know about Windows Upgrade offer. but that is not what I want

I am a PC enthusiast. I build my own PCs. The current system I have runs on Linux at the moment. I HAVE NOT installed any version of Windows on this PC. SO I CANNOT use the upgrade option for Windows 8.

So I have to either buy OEM or Personal Use Licesnse for System Builder (PULSB).

But please keep in mind that I change my PC components rather frequently. So OEM edition does not sound right for me, leaving the System Builder version the only viable alternative.

BUT I cannot find site that sells this version in India.

So in  nutshell.

1. My PC do NOT have has a valid Windows installeld in it (XP, Vista or 7)
2. I change my hardware components frequently, including motehrboard.
3. I cannot find any way to buy a Windows 8 version in India which suits my needs.

So what are my options now?

Sorry this didn't help.

I dont think you understood my question correctly.

I know about Windows Upgrade offer. but that is not what I want

I am a PC enthusiast. I build my own PCs. The current system I have runs on Linux at the moment. I HAVE NOT installed any version of Windows on this PC. SO I CANNOT use the upgrade option for Windows 8.

So I have to either buy OEM or Personal Use Licesnse for System Builder (PULSB).

But please keep in mind that I change my PC components rather frequently. So OEM edition does not sound right for me, leaving the System Builder version the only viable alternative.

BUT I cannot find site that sells this version in India.

So in  nutshell.

1. My PC do NOT have has a valid Windows installeld in it (XP, Vista or 7)
2. I change my hardware components frequently, including motehrboard.
3. I cannot find any way to buy a Windows 8 version in India which suits my needs.

So what are my options now?

(i'm not sumit r)

as i said in my previous post, you have to wait for the full product to appear in microsoft authorized retail stores.

the system builder EULA has been changed by microsoft recently so for your enthusiast needs, you must wait for Full Packaged Product (FPP) Software.

or you can join in this giveaway contest:

http://www.neowin.net/news/giveaway-windows-8-professional

Sorry this didn't help.

the system builder EULA has been changed by microsoft recently so for your enthusiast needs, you must wait for Full Packaged Product (FPP) Software.
What has changed in the EULA?

Last time I read it (yesterday), I did not find any clause that does not permit me to Install it in a new PC or Transfer the license to another PC.

Can you elaborate?

Sorry this didn't help.

What has changed in the EULA?

Last time I read it (yesterday), I did not find any clause that does not permit me to Install it in a new PC or Transfer the license to another PC.

Can you elaborate?

in the past, the oem system builder kit can be used to install at your own computer.

now, it can only be used to install on new computer to be sold at a buyer.

you, the oem buyer, will then provide customer support to the buyer.

that is how i understood it.

the topic was discussed in tech forums like techspot, neowin.

Sorry this didn't help.

Found the Personal Use License (PUL) EULA:

It says I can transfer the Windows 8 installation to another PC as long as I own that system and I remove Windows 8 from first PC.

The System Builder version of Windows 8 is available for purchase in amazon. Still no word on its availablity in India.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, there is not going to be any full retail version of win8.
Only Retail upgrades and System Builders OEM copy which comes with PUL. And OEM for, u know..companies like Dell,HP etc..

What u want is the System Builder's copy which is only available at select online stores.
Even i'm looking for it, no idea when it'll be available in India..hopefully before the promo offer ends.

Did u try calling MS regarding this? If u get any info share it here.

Sorry this didn't help.

I do not see an option to buy Windows 8 Pro Retail (DVD) in India. I am NOT talking about Windows 8 upgrade. I want to buy a Windows 8 stand-alone copy. But I cannot find any retailer who provides Windows 8 Pro in India. 

This is the official Microsoft Buy page for Windows 8:

It does not say anything about retail copies.

Will it be available in India before 2013, so that Ican buy it for the promo price of $69?

Hello Tom,

I spoke to Microsoft about this and they confirmed that the full retail DVDs are not available as of now anywhere in India, however, they would be available by the middle of November this year. Flipkart also said the same thing. 

Hence, we have to wait for some time now.

Moreover, Microsoft confirmed that the price of Windows 8 Pro standalone retail copy would cost Rs. 3489.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well that is good news.

However, when I called Microsoft the other day, they said the retail standalone version (ie System Builder - Personal Use License) for Windows 8 pro will be sold at around 120 to 139 USD. That will be around INR 7600 in India.

Anyway waiting for this version. However I do not understand why Microsoft took this stance. I mean most of the hard-core PC users(enthusiasts and more importantly gamers) always build their own PCs.

A couple of my friends made the mistake of purchasing the retail DVD assuming that it was a stand-alone version. But when they tried to install, it became clear that it was the same Upgrade package (except it came in a fancy box). 

I think Microsfto should clearly state that these are Upgrade Packs on the box where everyone can see.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 3,771 Applies to: