Building a new computer. Need information on installing Windows 8.

I recently decided to build a dedicated gaming PC after my slightly upgraded pre-built system had hardware failure. A few weeks before the aforementioned hardware failure I purchased 2 copies of Windows 8. One version for the computer I am posting this from now, and one for the computer that had the failure. When I install the Windows 8 OS on this new computer, can I use the key I have for the decommissioned computer to install it, or would I have to buy a new copy. The old computer will most likely be formatted, re-built and sold.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 174 Applies to:
Answer

You can transfer the product key to a different computer as long as it is removed from the current computer it is installed on. Please note, if its an upgrade copy of Windows 8, you can't install it on a blank hard disk or partition. You must have previous qualifying license installed. Otherwise, you will need the full version OEM System Builder license:

There are no full retail versions of Windows 8. If you need a full version, you will need to purchase the Windows 8 Pro OEM from New Egg. This requires a custom clean install.

Windows 8 Pro
64 Bit (OEM)

Windows 8 Pro
32 Bit (OEM)

Windows 8
64 Bit (OEM)

Windows 8
32 Bit (OEM)

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.