Blank Screen at the Very End of Windows 8 Installation, Reverts to Windows 7

Hi everyone,

I’m having a problem installing the download version of Windows 8 Pro. I’m running Windows 7 Home Premium on a Dell Inspiron 15 R that I purchased this past May, 2012. I've attempted installation with all devices disconnected.

·         I downloaded the Windows installation file. The system was cleared for installation. I selected "Install Now" and "Keep my files and apps."

·         Windows 8 appeared to complete most of the installation successfully, with fonts and logos re-branded, after completing its various installation tests and installation procedures.

·         The system seemed to run into problems after the “Preparing Devices” screen. “Preparing Devices” reached 100%, and then the screen went blank. There was no text or images, though the screen was dimly illuminated. It stayed in this state for an hour or so, with nothing happening.

·         I was forced to hard restart the machine. After booting, Windows 8 provided the message “Windows installation was not successful. Your previous version of Windows is being restored. Do not restart your computer during this time.”

·         The system restarted itself, and I was back in Windows 7 Home Premium.

·         I retried installation using a USB drive and got the same result as above.

·       When trying to install the Release Preview in the summer, I had the same problem, and reverted to Windows 7.

Is there something I’m doing wrong? Has anyone tried leaving the system on the blank screen, after “Preparing Devices,” for another hour or so? Or should I try selecting "Keep nothing" instead of "Keep my files and apps"? Does installing from a DVD make a difference? 

This is a new machine, recently purchased as I mentioned, and barely used. I think Chrome is the only app I installed after it shipped in May.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Michael

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I have exactly the same problem, thanks for sharing.   I wanted to use an usb drive for the'install, but it skipped that option.  Thankfully I got restored to my XP system, and was

back on the internet.  But now I cant find the $40. download iso. I also wanted to clean install with the USB. Now what can I redownload the iso, after all I paid for it.

Please help.

JJ

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

i have the same problem. choosing keep files or keep nothing didn't make a difference for me

Sorry this didn't help.

Same here.

Intel i5 2400
Gtx 460
4 Gb corsair ram
500 gb standard HD

Sorry this didn't help.

same here, have a dell inspiron as well...how can this be fixed?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having similar problem, but my screen went blank very early in the installation process.  Mine is an HP Touchsmart.  Hope I can get my $40 back.

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue as others: I have a two-month old Dell Inspiron 15R N5110 (6 GB of RAM, i5-3210M processor) currently running 64-bit Windows 7 Home. The upgrade to Win 8 Pro gets through a reboot where I can see the Win 8 logo briefly but then gets to a greyish-black screen and does nothing. Hard powering down and starting up again says that the install failed and it reverts back to Win 7.

This is a very vanilla install of Win 7. I'd uninstalled most of the Dell apps, and am current on all device drivers (for Windows 7, at least).

I'm very surprised that this upgrade fails so badly.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey guys, you have to update your BIOS system in order for it to work. Just installed it successfully

Sorry this didn't help.

I've seen other posts like this. I'm having a similar problem. Most of them seem to be All-In-One.
I have an HP TouchSmart IQ506. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Can I also add my name to the list of people who experienced this?

My laptop is a:
  • Dell Inspiron 15R (N5110)
  • Windows 7 Home Premium (OEM) 64bit
  • Can provide more info if required
As with @MichaelGinCanada, the specs are well within what is required, and the pre-install check came back pretty much fine for anything which matters (i.e. will need to reinstall IntelWifi drivers for Windows 8).

In addition, I have a dual boot setup with ArchLinux, using the Grub2 bootloader. Throughout the installation, I was pleasantly surprised that Windows didn't nuke my MBR (as previous versions had a history of doing), and I would successfully reboot into grub during the installation, where I dutifully told it to boot Windows. This would continue a few times,a nd each time, the install would pick up where it was supposed to.

I'm unsure about when the black screen occurred for me, but it was pretty late in the install. 

The system successfully restored to Windows 7, and the "Install Windows" shortcut is still on the desktop, allowing me to attempt another install. I will try again tonight, but will not hold my breath.

Any help would be appreciated,
cheers,
pete.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey guys, you have to update your BIOS system in order for it to work. Just installed it successfully

Actually, this is a good point. Thanks for that. 

More specifically, the Dell site (http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails?driverId=CXRD8) lists under "Fixes and Enhancements":
  1. FIX WIN8 BLACK SCREEN
I'm about to do this now, and will report back to see if it worked for me to.

cheers,
pete.

Edit: Aaaaaannnnnddd fixed. Thank you sir, the BIOS update did the trick. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 1,935 Applies to: