Anybody gotten the DVD to boot UEFI?

I used the normal Download Assistant and allowed it to make install media for the Windows 8 upgrade.  The flash drive seems to work fine and boots using UEFI.  The DVD does not......!

Anyone else found this to be the case?  Surely Microsoft would not set up the DVD option so as to not allow booting into a UEFI configuration..

Question Info

Last updated November 25, 2018 Views 68,764 Applies to:
Answer
I have quickly looked at the directory structure and it seems to be OK, so I will have to guess there is something about the way the .iso is constructed, if it is a Microsoft problem.
Indeed, the ISO created by the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant does not support UEFI boot. The files in the ISO are fine (\efi folder) but the boot images are broken. To boot in UEFI mode from a CD/DVD, there needs to be a special boot image which allows booting the EFI boot loader in \efi\boot. The ISO created by the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant only has the standard boot image for normal BIOS mode booting, whereas the ISO of the Windows 8 preview has both boot images, for BIOS mode and UEFI mode.

The workaround is to generate a new ISO file, with both boot images. The boot images are available in the file system of the ISO. I sucessfully built the ISO with the Microsoft tool "oscdimg". To get the tool either download the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30652 or download just the tool from http://blog.paulbetts.org/index.php/2011/09/17/converting-a-win8-install-directory-to-an-iso/

Further, mount the ISO file with a virtual DVD-drive or insert the DVD into a real DVD-drive. In the following example it is assumed that the Windows 8 DVD is in drive g:

Now, create the fixed ISO (including the UEFI boot image) with the command:
oscdimg.exe -m -o -u2 -udfver102 -bootdata:2#p0,e,bg:\boot\etfsboot.com#pEF,e,bg:\efi\microsoft\boot\efisys.bin g:\ d:\path\to\new\win8pro-uefi.iso

Then burn the new ISO file to a DVD. I used InfraRecorder and booting from DVD in BIOS and UEFI mode worked fine. Note: I have not tested a whole installation but only until the first installer dialog.

Have fun

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.