0x80070011 when trying to add Media Center to Windows 8 Pro

I'm attempting to add Windows Media Center to my Windows 8 Pro installation but am getting an error message saying something with wrong.  From looking at the logs I can see the problem is "DoTransmogrify failed due to error 0x80070011" which indicates there is a problem with my user directory being on a different drive than the Windows folder.  Since I have a relatively small SSD for booting I moved my user folder to a much larger hard drive.  Shouldn't directory junctions work the same as if the folder were on the same drive?  Is there a work around short of moving my user folder back to the C: drive?

Thanks!

|
Answer
Answer
I had a similar problem with the Window 8 RSAT tools that lead me to your post in my research for a solution. I am not positive that this will solve your issue, but it did work for me. Since the installer does not seem to like following symlinks that point to different disk drives, I simply told the installer the actual location of the profiles it is updating on install. Open the registry editor and navigate to:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Change the location of the "Default", "ProfilesDirectory" and "Public" StringValues to point to the actual target path of your Users symlink on the C drive. (ie. "D:\Users\*)

Run the Media Center Installer

Change the paths back in the registry.
(I am not positive this is necessary, as you would still have the symlink on your C drive that points anything using that path to the correct folder, I just changed it back to %SystemDrive%\* so that I could test to see if the RSAT tools still worked without the explicit path being used in the registry.)

Good luck. I hope it works.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 3, 2020 Views 4,480 Applies to: