Windows 8 Control Panel 'View by' settings will not stick

Hello,

I am running Windows 8 Pro N. When I open up the control panel its default view is 'category'. If I change that to 'Small Icons', close out of control panel, and open it again, it is back to 'category' view.

Is there some setting that needs to be set in order for that preference to stick?

Thanks,

Andy Jackson
Answer
Answer
I had the same problem. While the 4 steps did not work for me either, I've found a somewhat similar solution as Ajacks that I believe will work on all Windows 8 platforms.

When you open Control Panel, it opens in "Category" view by default.
If you look up at the address bar it'll just say "Control Panel".
But if you switch to "Small Icons" or "Large Icons", the address now reads "Control Panel>All Control Panel Items"

If you hover the mouse over the words "All Control Panel Items" it will highlight blue. You could then click and drag it out to the desktop to create a shortcut. When you click on that shortcut, it should open control panel to Small or Large Icons view, depending on which view you last closed it on (Category view won't count!). Additionally, you can right-click that shortcut and Pin to Start Menu or add to Favorites for convenient access. You can also change the name to "Control Panel" if you don't like the bulky "All Control Panel Items" name.

If you want Control Panel to open in Category view again then do the same thing, but this time highlight and drag the words "Control Panel" from the address bar to desktop and pin it Start or where ever you usually click to open Control Panel up.

Hope this solution makes it easy to whoever reads this to match their preference!

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 18, 2020 Views 6,368 Applies to: