Windows 8 "Change Camera" option in Metro Camera App does not response

I have a laptop with Camera built-in and Windows 8 installed.

Open camera from Metro desktop,click "change camera" ,find it change nothing.

I find that there is other laptop which will show "mirror" image once clicking the "change camera" function.

Would this be the camera device fail to response to Windows implementation?

Question Info

Last updated October 9, 2019 Views 2,190 Applies to:

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting the question. I see that you have an issue with the camera app on Windows 8. Let me help you with the issue.

1.What is the make and model of the computer?

2.Which security software is installed?

3.Did you make any changes to the computer prior to the issue?

4.Is the issue confined to this app?

In order to troubleshoot this issue, let us try these methods:

Method 1.

Download and run the Modern UI App troubleshooter and check.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/4/F24D0C03-4181-4E5B-A23B-5C3A6B5974E3/apps.diagcab

Method 2.

Refer the help article and check it helps.

What to do if you have problems with an app: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/what-troubleshoot-problems-app

Method 3.

Reset store cache.

a. Press the Windows key + R

b. Type: WSReset.exe and click ok.

Method 4.

To run the System File Checker you will need to open an elevated Command Prompt. This can be done by:

• Enter the Start screen
  • Press Windows key + C on your keyboard to show the Charms bar. (If you are using a touch screen: touch the right edge of the screen and swipe your finger toward the center of the screen to show the Charms bar)
  • Click Search
  • Type Command Prompt into the Search field
  • Right click Command Prompt (If you are using a touch screen: Touch and hold your finger to the Command Prompt, slide your finger down until you see an outline around the tile, and finally release your finger from the screen.)
  • Click Run as administrator
  • Enter the command: sfc /scannow
    Note: If you are using a touch screen you can open the touch keyboard for the Command Prompt by tapping the keyboard icon displayed on your Taskbar near the System tray.

Method 5.

Disable the security software temporarily and check if it helps.

Note: Antivirus software can help protect the computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you should not disable the antivirus software. If you do have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you are connected to the Internet or a network during the time the antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Method 6.

I would suggest you to check in new Microsoft account.

a) Press “Windows key +W”.

b) Type “users” without quotes in the search box.

c) Then select “Users” from the left panel.

d) Select “Switch to Microsoft account” right below your user account name.

e) Enter the required details.

f) Restart the computer and then try to login using new Microsoft account.

I hope the above step helps. If you need further assistance on this particular issue or any other Windows related issue let us know and we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Srimadhwa ,

My unit is unavailable to me since it is at my office.

I will head back to office and check immediately after Chinese New Year to let you know my finding.

Meantime, would there be a clear definition of what "Change Camera" button function would do for MS native Camera Metro App?

My understanding is for the system that have front and back camera(such as tablet or pad), it switch camera.

But for the system that have only one fixed camera(typical laptop), what should the button do?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.