Windows 8 app names (on tiles) are not in my language

Hi,

I've had this problem where all my built-in apps (weather, news, people, etc.) were in English. Following the tips I found here, I changed my primary language to French and it partially worked: the content of the built-in apps is now in French, however, their name are still in English. The result is that my start screen shows a "Weather" tile instead of the expected "Météo", and even app search doesn't find the weather app if I search for "Meteo". The Windows Store, however, shows the French names for my installed applications.

How can I get app names to be in my language on the start screen and in the app search?

Thanks.
Answer
Answer

Hi MrTrillian,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community!

From your issue description I understand that you are unable to view Windows 8 apps name in your desired language. I understand the inconvenience caused to you.

1. Have you made any other changes to the computer prior to the issue other than changing the primary language to French?
  2. Did you change the keyboard, regional and language settings to French?

I would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall one app and check if the issue persists.

Step 1: Follow the steps to uninstall app.

a. Right click the app that you want to uninstall.

b. Click on Uninstall in the task bar.

c. Then click on Uninstall button.

Note: Once you uninstall Messaging apps all these apps will get uninstall automatically Mail, Calendar, People and Messaging once you install any one app in Mail, Calendar, People and Messaging all four will install automatically.

Step 2: Follow the steps to reinstall App

a. Click on Store in Windows 8 User Interface page.

b. Search for the app that you are looking for and click on the app and install it.

Hope it helps. For any further Windows related assistance, feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help.

Regards!

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 26, 2020 Views 14,285 Applies to: