Windows 7 File Recovery - Receive 0x80070716 error

Hello,

I recently upgraded a couple pc's from Win7 64-bit to Win8 64-bit Pro.  I created a System Image in Windows 7 before the upgrade and planned on creating another System Image in Windows 8 after the upgrade, once the system was stable.  One system was able to create the before/after System Images just fine but the other is receiving the following error in Windows 8 when trying to open Windows 7 File Recovery:

An internal error has occurred

The specified resource name cannot be found in the image file. (0x80070716)

This system was a Windows 7 64-bit Pro prior to the upgrade and I had performed a network file backup at one time.   I'm thinking that this may be the resource it is trying to access but this resource is no longer available and I cannot get far enough into the Windows 7 File Recovery to see what the network path was to see if I can try and create a temporary resource that matches the path.

I have made sure that the Windows Backup, Volume Shadow Copy, and dependent services are running and set to automatic.  I have ran a chkdsk and sfc /scannnow that several forums suggest.  I feel like I have a good Windows 8 install but was wondering if anyone knows how I can edit the registry or something to remove the reference to this old resource.  Or maybe I'm way off base by thinking that old network resource is the culprit and was hoping there is some way to repair/reset just the Windows 7 File Recovery without going back to Windows 7 and starting over.

Thank you in advance for any help that you provide.

Robin

Question Info

Last updated February 8, 2019 Views 6,415 Applies to:

I was able to solve this by editing the registry and deleting the following keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsBackup\ValidConfig

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsBackup\ValidSystemImageBackup

25 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you; I was having the same or similar issue. In my case, I had upgraded to Windows 8 from Windows 7 and was attempting to enable the new "File History" backup feature. 

Windows 8 said it could not turn File History on, as I would need to disable the Windows 7 backup first, but attempting to open Windows 7 File Recovery generated the 0x80070716 error. Deleting the ValidConfig key allowed me to configure Windows 8 File History. (I didn't have a ValidSystemImageBackup key on mine, however).

Sorry this didn't help.

I experience the very same problem

I had upgraded to Windows 8 from Windows 7 and was attempting to enable the new "File History" backup feature.  Attempting to open Windows 7 File Recovery generated the 0x80070716 error.

My registry does not have a ValidConfig key or a ValidSystemImageBackup key

Any suggestions will be most welcome

Sorry this didn't help.

If your registry does not have these items in than your problem is not this one and you will have to look elsewhere.

However it is easy to miss these item when looking in the registry. If you cut and past

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsBackup\ValidConfig from these page into REGEDIT's FIND the what will be displayed is the right hand display will be the contents of ValidConfig, not the item itself. To see the item you will have to look at the left panel of the REGEDIT display.

A better way to do this is to search REGEDIT using

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsBackup (that is leave ValidConfig off) now, if you have this problem, you will see ValidConfig and ValidSystemImage on the right hand REGEDIT panel where they can be delete from.

Sorry this didn't help.

For Windows 10 I have the same error!  I found that instead of deleting ValidConfig and ValidSystemImageBackup, you can instead modify them and change their value data to 0 (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-7-backup-and-restore/93e8972f-2b27-4346-93be-46617afee8f9).  Just my preference not to delete things.

Happy I saw this post, thanks!

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.