Skype doesn't install on my new windows 8 laptop in metro OR desktop mode

I have a new Windows 8 Toshiba laptop purchased from PC World with Norton. I have tried to run the Skype app but it won't allow me to connect since I got the machine. The app store also no longer works, it just freezes so I can't search for a new version. I would prefer the desktop version but I can't run the install. I can download the file fine, but as soon as I click and it says to allow the program to make changes. After that it does nothing and nothing comes up whatsoever. I have tried running it in different compatibility modes but this makes no difference either. I've run the file as an administrator and I've unblocked files pretty much tried everything, but it still doesn't work. When I try to send the report and search for a solution the report wizard runs forever, and I end up cancelling it after 15 minutes of nothing. Unless there is a solution I will have to downgrade my PC, so any advice would be appreciated.
Hi Natasha,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community and we are glad to assist you on this issue.

From the description of this issue, you are unable to install Skype App and the App store does not respond properly as it freezes when you try to open it.

I would ask few questions on this issue:

1) Did you make and changes to the computer prior to this issue?
2) Do you get any error message when you try to install Skype app on the computer?
3) Have you enabled any proxy connection to connect to Internet on the computer?
4) Are you trying to download desktop version of Skype from app store?
5) Is the issue specific to Skype while downloading from App store?

Since, it is an issue with the Skype app, let’s try app troubleshooter and check if that helps.

You can follow the methods:

Method 1:

Step 1: Why can't I find or install an app from the Windows Store?

I would suggest you to refer to the link to check for this issue:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/why-find-install-app-windows-store

Step 2:

I would suggest you to delete App store cache memory and check if that helps.

You may refer to the steps to do so:

Clear Windows Store cache:

Please follow the steps below to clear Windows Store cache memory:

a)       On the desktop screen, press Windows and r key to open run box.

b)      Type WSReset.exe and hit enter.

Method 2:

If you have enabled any proxy connection on the computer, I would suggest you to disable it and check if it helps.

You may follow the steps to do so:

a) Open Internet Explorer on the desktop.
b) Click on Tools icon option on the top right corner.
c) Select Internet Option from the list.
d) Click on Connection tab.
e) Click on LAN Settings.
f) Uncheck the box which says “Use a Proxy Server for your LAN.
g) Click on OK.

Method 3:

I would suggest you to temporarily disable Norton security software and check if it helps to access
App store.

Important Note: Security software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your
computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Method 4:

If the methods above do not help to resolve the issue, then perhaps, there might be some other application running on the computer leading to this issue. I would suggest you to place the computer in Clean Boot and the try to install the Skype app on the computer. This might help.

You may refer to the link to perform clean boot on the computer:

Refer to the link:

Note: Perform Step 3 to boot the computer into normal mode after troubleshooting.

Hope it helps.

Please reply us if the issue still persists.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I had the same problem.  Used the App store to try and install Skype.  After that it locked and then said I did not have an internet connection.  Obviously I do.  I was successful by installing the Desktop app instead.  You have to scroll down on the Skype webpage and click on the Desktop download and not the first button near the top.

I suspect my problem may stem from having installed the Classis Shell as I prefer the old interface.

Hope that helps.

-- brett

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have  new Lenovo loptop window 8  I ccant  sign  in  in  Skype please  help  me  thank you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

When I try to download skype for windows 10 throuhg microsoft store it says TRY LATER , THERE IS A PROBLEM ON OUR SIDE, could you please advise. Thank you!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 2,356 Applies to: