Not able create a new folder using windows 8 reader App

original title: windows 8 reader App

Can someone please tell me if it is possible when opening a PDF file using the reader app and trying to save it doesn't allow me to create a folder it only allows me to save to folders that are already available.

Is this option available to create folders and if so where can I find it?

Thank you

Aaron

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 1,598 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Aaron,

Thank you for posting the question on Microsoft Community.

Based on the description provided, it looks like you want to know if a PDF file can be viewed in reader app and you are not able to create a folder when saving a file in Windows 8.

It is not possible to create a new folder while saving as using Reader app in Windows 8 as this is by design.

For reference visit the link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/reader-faqs

Hope this helps. If you have any more queries related to Windows feel free to post here at Microsoft Community.

Ravinath P
Forum Moderator - Multiple Forums

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

My comment is intended to point out the need for this feature, not to answer directly or indirectly the question. It's very important so please don't overlook and maybe sometime soon this feature can be serviced.

Windows 8 is by-far, leagues ahead of my former expectations! However major productivity interruptions have arisen due to the lack of in-app,  File Explorer advanced functionality features (such as creating new folders while navigating in-app, etc).

Compared with prior Windows releases this is a minor issue. But from a business perspective it is essential to maintain organization quickly and accurately. Although this feature is an over-all minor limitation some attention should be paid to integrating a more fluid in-app workflow.

My aim is to be proactive and to reach for solutions with in-app productivity. I cannot do so myself but by becoming involved within the Microsoft community we can all help to make the issues more clear both to users and developers. I hope Reader among other Windows 8 apps get the File Explorer integration soon because it's a necessary tool in maintaining workflow productivity.
E.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ravinath,

Lack of this function makes it very difficult to work with this program. If this is by design, it is a very poor design. Microsoft should address this issue.

Nik

Sorry this didn't help.

It is not possible to create a new folder while saving as using Reader app in Windows 8 as this is by design.

It seems crazy to me that I can't create a new folder, why should I have to resort to the desktop File Explorer to do this?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Nik,

Yes, absolutely agree with you. To even say it was done by design as in intended to be 'dis-functional' in a way is rather embarrassing. A very poor design indeed.

One day while saving a PDF file..... O yeah, which reminds me, I need to switch app then explore to the intended place, create a folder using explorer,, and yes ,go back to the the metro pdf viewer and then try to save it again. Brilliant!.

-DAE

Sorry this didn't help.

No, Ravinath, this does not help. You can't create a new folder using ANY app; what reason would Microsoft have for designing it this way? It makes saving files a task that takes much longer than it should. 

You referenced the reader faqs. Perhaps I glossed over it, but I didn't see the reason for designing out the ability to create folders while saving files.

By far the biggest disappointment of this OS. 

Sorry this didn't help.

It is very unusual that Microsoft have apparently omitted this obvious functionality.

Just install Adobe Reader:

http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/

Sorry this didn't help.

It is very unusual that Microsoft have apparently omitted this obvious functionality.

Just install Adobe Reader:

http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/

The point is that it is sheer stupidity that you have lost the ability in all of the apps to easily navigate and create a new folder when saving a file.  If they want to dumb it down for the less capable users then they should also give us the option to turn it on.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hope this helps. If you have any more queries related to Windows feel free to post here at Microsoft Community.

Hi Ravinath,

I see absolutely no point in this design decision, as it in fact seems to affect all modern apps that use the system file picker. 
The ability to create a new folder in the Save As dialog is very important if not essential. To ask users to create folders in a different app (including yet another navigation to the same folder path) goes directly against the simplicity of operation the modern apps are supposedly designed to achieve.
Please communicate this request to development.

Thanks
Tomas

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree with Ethan. In fact, I think he's being very mild about the issue. This is an inconvenience I run into almost every day using my Windows 8 PC. I would be surprised if the people in charge of this part of Windows 8 actually use the operating system on a daily basis.

Sorry this didn't help.