Netflix app freezes in Windows 8, no error detected in Troubleshooter

I have an Asus notebook PC with Windows 8 that I just got today, and I got the Netflix app from the Windows store a few hours ago. The first time I tried to stream a TV show it played just fine for about 30 seconds, then the picture froze while the audio continued. In another few seconds the screen went black and the audio stopped, then the player just started again from the beginning, with the same thing happening after 30 seconds. This happens every time I stream any TV show or movie, from any point in the title.

The first time it happened the troubleshooter opened, but it couldn't find the error. I am not tech savvy so I just went online to see if anyone had similar problems, and it seemed like a lot of people were having issues with the app crashing, and they just installed the most recent version of Silverlight and it went away. So I tried that, and nothing has changed. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app, restarted the computer, and tried just quitting the app altogether and streaming from IE but as soon as it accesses the title it stops me and says I cannot stream without the Windows 8 app.

I'm all out of ideas, and I have yet to see anyone else with a similar problem. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate the help as this is NOT something I am good at!

Thanks!

Answer
Answer
Did you try updating your video driver? Make sure you are using a Microsoft certified video driver.
Barb
My Blog - http://digitalmediaphile.com/
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
Windows Insider MVP

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 2, 2020 Views 2,386 Applies to: