MS PDF reader running under windows 8 using bookmarks

I recently had to download a text book for school in PDF format using my windows 8 (mouse driven) computer running MS PDF reader. It download the book cover and when I accessed the bookmarks for the table of contents it only presented the cover page. I could not access any pages in the book. I have 4 computers, 2 running windows 8, one running vista and the other running XP. The text book worked fine on the computers running XP and vista using adobe reader, but would not work on the 2 running windows 8. On the computers running XP and vista,when I clicked on the bookmarks the entire table of contents displayed and I was able to click on and download each chapter for viewing.

I then download Adobe reader on one of the windows 8 computers, and got the same bad results as I got with MS reader. Since that didn't work I uninstalled Adobe reader. Other than the text book problem, MS reader seems to work fine. Is there some setting I have to make to get MS reader to work with bookmarks?

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 1,410 Applies to:
Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft community.

From the issue description, you are not able to open only text book contents. I will be glad to assist you on this issue.

1. What is the exact and complete error message you get?
2. Did you make any changes to the computer prior to the issue?

Let us try the following steps to fix the issue.

I would suggest you to re-download the textbook contents and see if that helps. This issue might occur if the file you have downloaded is not good.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows in future. We will be glad to assist.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

There are no error messages. The pdf is good because I can open it on my xp and vista computers. I tried to open the Math text book multiple times. Also I tried to open it on two windows 8 computers.

One of the computers is relatively new with no changes made since it's purchase (only windows 8 updates).

Both will not display the contents of the PDF and work exactly the same. I only get the cover of the book when I open the PDF(which is ok), and when I right click on the cover I get the menu at the bottom of the screen. I then click the more button, then the bookmark option. When I do this, I should get the table of contents displayed. From there I should be able to click on each chapter and display its contents. However I only get a small popup directly above the more button that says algebra 1. From this point I can do nothing but close the PDF.

techman13

Sorry this didn't help.

I think I may have found the problem. When displaying the PDF in vista and XP it contains two icons:

1. Pages: Go to specific pages using thumbnail images and

2. Bookmarks: Go to specific points of interest using bookmark links.

For my textbook PDF there is only one icon (thumbnail) under the Pages option that points to the first page (already displayed when the PDF is opened). However the Bookmarks contains the full table of contents.

When I open the PDF using PDF reader under windows 8,the bookmarks option contains only the one icon that shows under the Pages icon, and not the table of contents that shows under the bookmarks.

Shouldn't there be two selections under windows 8, Pages & Bookmarks, the same as shown under vista & XP? 

I found a sample PDF that has the same characteristics as the text book that I am trying to open.

It is at http://www.doc-txt.com/PDF-Bookmark-Sample.pdf

It is the third sample labeled "sample of multiple PDF output.

Please advise if there is a way of opening this type of PDF on windows 8.

Thanks.

techman13

Sorry this didn't help.