MS PDF Reader App bug - it doesn't support nTrig stylus eraser

I am using a Vaio Duo 11, a Windows 8 tablet, and the eraser button on my stylus causes the Reader app to show an eraser icon, however the stylus won't actually erase, it'll just add more marks to the page.  I've tried other nTrig styli to no avail, also I've confirmed the problem with other Vaio Duo users, I've confirmed that the nTrig eraser does work in other apps (like OneNote), and finally I've confirmed that the Reader app does support the eraser function if you are using a Wacom stylus on a tablet with Wacom hardware.

Is there any way to fix this buggy implementation and support of the nTrig eraser, and if not, is there a way that I can more directly contact the team that works on the Reader app so as to inform them of this bug?  In its current state the reader app is useless to all nTrig users who wish to annotate PDFs.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I hate when I post questions and don't get a courteously quick response.  I will hook you up friend.  I believe the only way to erase is to close without saving and start again.  The app itself doesn't support undo or erasing.  Measure twice and cut once as they say.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

The app does support erasing when using a Wacom stylus.  It SHOULD support the eraser when using an N-Trig stylus, as you actually get an eraser icon when pushing the eraser button on the stylus, however, the implementation is buggy as trying to erase simply adds more markings.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sony vaio duo 11 having excatly same issue.

Pressing the 2nd buttom on the pen will active an eraser icon, but in fact when u try to erase... it just simply adds more inking on the page...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yay! MS completely ignores a legitimate and most likely very easily fixed bug... I guess even giving a response is beyond worthwhile huh?.  GOD I can't wait for Apple to come out with a version of OS X that supports touch, the MS software engineers who work on Windows these days are so incompetent these days its laughable.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So yet no answer?  I want to buy new vaio duo 13 but still with ntrig and on ntrig website sony support was removed, strange thing because duo 13 come in 9 of this month.... No one have tip on how to solve ?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just purchased the Sony Duo 13 and the erase function does not work in the reader app even though the erase icon shows.  Like others on this thread, it just adds more ink. Works fine in OneNote though. One of the main reason I purchased the Duo was to annotate pdfs in tablet mode. This is a major flaw. Wish I had seen this thread earlier!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi RadiAnt,

Unfortunately, Microsoft has still neither to respond nor fix this very simple bug.  In the meantime, I suggest that you do as I did and move away from the MS PDF Reader app.  Try "Drawboard PDF" from the app store, it doesn't render as well and once in a blue moon it corrupts file saves (so keep backups), but its inking capabilities and eraser support far surpass MS's solution.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I too am having this issue with my Asus Taichi.  I push the button to erase, the eraser appears, but it just keeps drawing lines.  Very frustrating, as this was one of the main reasons I purchased this device.

I've given Drawboard PDF a try, but every time I save the PDF document, I can no longer open it up in Windows Reader.  It concerns me that it is corrupting the save file every time.

Surely Microsoft will fix this serious bug?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft has FINALLY fixed, this issue with the latest release of the Reader App. It is still very disappointing that Ms never actually responded to any of the multiple threads on this issue over the entire year that users have had to deal with stylus issues in its PDF app.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The erase function still does not work with the Samsung ATIV 500T.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 1,283 Applies to: