Media Center on windows 8 disconnects Xbox being used as extender

Quite simply, the Xbox keeps getting disconnected when being used as a  media extender. Event viewer shows "The Media Center Extender user was abruptly disconnected."

Below is the relevant event

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Media Center Extender

[ Guid] {7B7838A3-6562-4269-BB7A-97B0D9593882}

EventID 117

Version 0

Level 3

Task 1

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2013-04-03T09:33:58.908089700Z

EventRecordID 2943

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 9808

[ ThreadID] 44

Channel Media Center

Computer RazTher-PC

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-21-1499015771-1272966325-631389839-1015

EventData

At approximately the same time a event 1530 came up. I dont know if this is related.

Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards. 

DETAIL -
 1 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User\S-1-5-21-1499015771-1272966325-631389839-1015:
Process 1152 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-1499015771-1272966325-631389839-1015\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Hi,

This might be due to some issues with the network drivers. So, I would suggest you to first update the network card drivers and check if that resolves the issue. You may follow these steps for the same.

Update the Network Card Drivers

Step 1: Check the Windows updates for any latest driver updates.

Check in Windows updates if any driver updates are available. If so, install the same and check if it helps.

a)       Press “Windows Logo” + “W” keys from the keyboard.

b)       Type “Updates” in the search bar and click on “Install optional updates” from the left pane.

c)       From the “Windows Update” window, click on “Check for Updates” on the top left corner to receive a fresh list of updates and install all the updates listed there.

Step 2: Try updating the drivers from the Device Manager.

a)       Press “Windows Logo” + “X” keys on the keyboard.

b)       Click on “Device Manager”.

c)       Search for the Network Card from the device list and right click on it and select “Update Driver Software”.

d)       Follow the on-screen instructions and complete the installation of the latest driver.

e)       If no driver updates are available, you may also search for the updated Network Card drivers in the “Drivers” and “DriverStore” folders in the location “C:/Windows/System32” by selecting the option “Browse my computer for Driver Software”.

Still, if you are unable to find any latest drivers in the computer, then check in the computer and Network Card manufacturer’s website for the latest Windows 8 drivers for your Network Card model. If they are available, then download and install them on the computer.

Step 3: Update Driver Software from the Manufacturer’s website:

Go to the computer or Network Card manufacturer’s website and search for the latest Windows 8 drivers available for the Network Card model and then install it by following the instructions given in the website.

You may also refer to this thread link:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-pictures/windows-8-media-center-xbox-360-extender-crashing/25b4e86a-051a-460b-b924-67b47d3b4174

If the issue still persists, then I would suggest you to post this question in the XBOX forums from this link:

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/b/default.aspx

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,
Rajesh Govind - Microsoft Support Engineer

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

These steps had previously been carried out.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Since the issue persists, even after updating the Network Card Drivers, it would better to get in touch with the XBOX Support. You may post this question in the XBOX forums for further assistance from this link:

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/b/default.aspx

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,
Rajesh Govind - Microsoft Support Engineer

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunatly, not helpful. the problem only arose after windows 8. the Xbox has had no changes or updates. In addition Media Center is predominately server side.

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you ever find out the issue?  I'm having the same problem.  Same enviroment worked fine with Windows 7, although I think it did take some tinkering back then.  Upgraded to Windows 8... PAID for Pro and Media Center.  Media Center user seems to get booted immediately when attempting to connect for XBOX extender.  (Getting that abruptly disconnected mssage in Event viewer).  I'm a software developer of 12 yrs exp. and have tried everything under the sun to get this to work.  Really getting annoyed.  Anyway... this kind of giref was somewhat excusable when Media Center was free but now that it costs money I'm expecting some accountability this time Microsoft!  I'm not one to give up easily either... hope there's some one with half a clue when I take my only remaining course of action and go through XBOX support this week.  Ugh.  Just so you understand my pain, here's a quick and dirty list of junk I've tried to fix this....

Open a million ports suggested by Microsoft

Disable all firewalls

Clear XBOX cache, disconnect and uninstall Media center on XBOX

uninstall\reinstall Extender 10,000 times!

Reset network devices

Manaually add mcx user to remote desktop users

Look for updated drivers for NIC

Change random properties on NIC like Flow Control, Jumbo Frames, Speed (1Gbs, 10/100, full duplex, etc.)

Uninstall Media Center on PC... oh wait, j\k, thats next to impossible on Windows 8 because for some reason installing that changed my product key or some nonsense

Sorry this didn't help.

No I never found a answer. I believe it to be a internal streaming problem of the computer due to Plex media server also disconnecting.

I solved the problem by selling the xbox at ebgames for 65% extra credit.

Sorry this didn't help.

Solved the issue.  Had to enable jumbo frames on Network Adapter properties.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 14, 2018 Views 697 Applies to: