I upgraded to Windows 8, and Microsoft Office disappeared from my PC. What happened?

Is Word still available somewhere on my PC, or do I have to buy again or use online?

A bit confusing.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

Alan

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 666 Applies to:

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Communities. From your problem description I understand that you are facing issues on Microsoft Office after upgrading to Windows 8.

1.       Which edition of Windows 8 have you installed on the laptop?

If you have Windows 8 RT edition, then you will be having Office Home and Student 2013 RT preinstalled. But other two editions Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro doesn’t have office in it.

To reinstall Office 2010 on Windows 8, I would suggest you to check with Office Support.

Additional information: How to retrieve files from the Windows.old folder: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/restore-files-upgrade-windows-old

Looking forward for more questions

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

It's truly reprehensible what Microsoft has done with the Windows 8 upgrade migration path.  First, I downloaded and have been using the evaluation version of Windows 8.  In the months that I've used it, it has felt clunky.  It's very difficult to find stuff and the user interface is just awful.  Aside from the actual usability of the product, the migration is even worse!  I upgraded to Windows 8 Pro when I was told that my PC would reboot every two hours if I did not upgrade.  Nice!  There was not even an option given to recover windows 7, which was a lot more intuitive than 8.  While upgrading, I was asked if I wanted to keep my personal files.  (Duh, yes I would. )  When I finally did upgrade and paid the price, I found all of the programs that I had installed were missing.  All must be re-installed.   From my perspective, "personal" files include applications that I had installed.  

In summary, Microsoft has created and continues to create bonfires of ill will with the procedure that they have implemented for this upgrade.  Arrogant, exigent oafs, are the managers who agreed that this was the best way to proceed.  Don't do it!  

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.