Usability of Fresh Paint for Windows 8.

Ii just downloaded the app, figuring my grandson would enjoy it. However, there's no instruction manual, and the tool buttons don't tell you what they'll do. There's a camera option, but no "take a picture" button to click. Not all of us are kids--some of us old geezers need directions.

Question Info

Last updated April 10, 2018 Views 11,486 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi TerryOdell,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and we are happy to assist you.

I would suggest you to go through the link to know about some basic usage of fresh paint.

Here is the link for your reference.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-winapps/fresh-paint-faq/552a7366-fbd2-4b19-a4b8-4021453a4835

To use the camera option, click on the camera image to select pictures or activate the camera from the dropdown. Now it is ready to be used.

Reference:

http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/en-US/app/fresh-paint/1926e0a0-5e41-48e1-ba68-be35f2266a03

Hop it helps. For any further queries feel free to come back.

Regards,
Tadasha Mishra

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The problem I have is there's no "help" or "right click to figure out what things do" in the app. It's total trial and error, and perhaps if I were 5 like my grandson, I'd be able to figure it out. There are choices on the top of the screen, and more choices/icons on the bottom. The camera on the bottom opens up the 'real' camera on my computer, but there's no 'click here to take a picture' (not to mention I have no idea what to do with one.  I'd rather see a tutorial of some sort than have to keep wading through forums to get a question answered. As for 'dropdown' I have no idea where that is? The top menu? The bottom menu. Windows 8 is hardly intuitive, and the apps, while great in theory, don't have enough information provided for how to use them.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello:

I just bought a new computer loaded with Windows 8. It is not a touch screen computer.  I realize that Windows 8 was made more for touch screens. 

I downloaded the Fresh Paint app and can not find out how to do anything. In old Paint I could draw lines and circle that were straight. I can find absolutely nothing on the new version that does this.  All it has are free hand painting. It is difficult to draw a nice straight line or circle free hand.

There are few icons for anything except a camera.

May I ask where these capabilities are located?.  Or doesn't the new version do any of this?.  Only free hand painting/drawing?.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello:

I just bought a new computer loaded with Windows 8. It is not a touch screen computer.  I realize that Windows 8 was made more for touch screens. 

I downloaded the Fresh Paint app and can not find out how to do anything. In old Paint I could draw lines and circle that were straight. I can find absolutely nothing on the new version that does this.  All it has are free hand painting. It is difficult to draw a nice straight line or circle free hand.

There are few icons for anything except a camera.

May I ask where these capabilities are located?.  Or doesn't the new version do any of this?.  Only free hand painting/drawing?.

Hi agan.  Sorry.  I found 'regular ol' Paint' by typing "mspaint" in Run by pressing the Windows key and R simultaneously.

Sorry this didn't help.

I totally agree. Even my 14 year old who is working with computers everyday at school is having trouble understanding how to not only use these programs, but then explain them so that her dad and I understand and can work the computer for ourselves. Plus we seem to have a bug on our computer where it won't offer/allow me to set the right time on the computer itself. It is all done through the settings area........I want my START button back!!!!!!!! HELP!

Sorry this didn't help.

My apologies, I've been away on holiday break.  Digging through the forums, I see a couple recurring questions.  I hope to help alleviate some frustrations:

Windows 8 is very touch-centric, but there are keyboard/mouse backups for the interactions.

• In Windows 8 it’s called “edgy.” It takes a bit of getting used to, but once you get the hang of it it’s quite nice.  Just swipe down from the top of your screen and the menus will appear. If you are using a mouse you can right click.

This will bring up the application toolbar.  If you 'edgy' in from the right of the screen, you will bring up the charms.

Sorry this didn't help.

Indeed, Paint is the "regular ol' Paint" whereas Fresh Paint is the new, realistic painting simulation.  Each application has its own strengths and weaknesses.  Paint is great for drawing lines and circles using their tools.  Fresh Paint is great for finger or brush painting to produce a realistic simulation of real oil on canvas interactions.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have read Jeff Herold's FAQ, and it is better than nothing.

The second "Reference" you included is a pointer to the app description, which I would hope everyone read before they downloaded the app (as it is really short).

There isn't anything in the FAQ for a person who has been using Win8 for more than a week. I'd like to learn more about painting, as I don't know squat about it. I keep getting hung up on stuff like using images and painting over them - my image just disappeared and I want to get it back (undo doesn't do it)

I hope that either the Win8.1 version has this or someone will create it. I know it isn't your job to teach me to paint, but perhaps some links to 'the basics of oil painting' would be useful. You know, how to blend colors, when to use a fan brush vs. another brush, etc.

As I don't know much (almost nothing) about painting I will let someone that knows what they're doing pick links that would be good for beginners.

I'm going to show it to my mother-in-law, she has painted about eighty protraits (she uses acrylics [spelling?] instead of oil, but I think it is the same thing)

-Chris C.

Sorry this didn't help.

There does not seem to be any way to open a file in Fresh Paint, other than in the Gallery. For example, I used my son's Surface Pro to take a photo of his bedroom, and took photos of all the potential colors we are going to use. I did a "Save As" of all of these into separate files with the intent of loading the bedroom photo, applying the different colors, so we could choose which color we liked best. All "Save As" files are .png. A "right click" on a .png does not show Fresh Paint as an option under "Open With", and I can't find the .exe to force the issue. How can I open a file in Fresh Paint? BTW, I'm using Windows 8.1...

Sorry this didn't help.

I didn't get upset with my SURFACE WIN8, now 8.1, until this app! It looks awesome, but you have to have ESP in order to use it!  Whether I'm using the touch screen or the mouse pointer on the keyboard, I can't seem to get any info on what each object does! I point to it, and nothing. No finger, info box or anything!  Just the pointer arrow. I feel like I'm on LET'S MAKE A DEAL. You don't know what it does until you click on it!

Am I that stupid that I should just dump this program? I really thought it would be great.

Or is there any hope of upcoming changes that will make this APP usable to the average person?

Signed,

Frustrated Finger Painter

P.S. Please don't send me a link to the problem, unless it's that the "bugs" are being worked out, or there is a REAL tutorial that applies or simplifies this APP.

Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.