First, we had MSN. Then it went to Hotmail. Then Outlook. Then Outlook disappeared. Now we have Microsoft Live Mail, MSN and Outlook. Anybody confused yet?

1)  Started out with MSN Messenger/Mail

2)  Then went to 'Hotmail'

3  Outlook disappeared for YEARS.

4)  Now, Outlook is BACK and Windows Live Mail is Outlook..........

Can't Microsoft let it's customer base KNOW what the eff it's doing so we can keep up? 

Same with Zune and Xbox music.  WTF?????????????  Zune is now "Xbox Music" but I still am using my ZUNE account........

And Windows 8 Pro?  Anybody find a link to PRO and it's "workings"?  They have NO "Windows 8 PRO' section at ALL.........................................

1)  Started out with MSN Messenger/Mail

2)  Then went to 'Hotmail'

3  Outlook disappeared for YEARS.

4)  Now, Outlook is BACK and Windows Live Mail is Outlook..........

Can't Microsoft let it's customer base KNOW what the eff it's doing so we can keep up? 

Same with Zune and Xbox music.  WTF?????????????  Zune is now "Xbox Music" but I still am using my ZUNE account........

And Windows 8 Pro?  Anybody find a link to PRO and it's "workings"?  They have NO "Windows 8 PRO' section at ALL.........................................

Hi Christopher

You forgot to mention that Messenger is now Skype. :))

Everyone thought that Microsoft was just 'blowing smoke' when they stated that they were re-imagining the company, but they were really SERIOUS.

There is a new website where most of the Consumer level products are very well documented.

Microsoft Windows: Help and How To:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/support

Use the Tabs and Filters to navigate.

Use the Search box at the top of the page and search for the keyword FAQ.

In the results, use the Filters on the left side of the page.

Regards

MVP 1999 - Present
Windows Insider MVP

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Outlook never disappeared, and has been a Windows mail client included in Office 97, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2007, 2010, and 2013.. :-)
Windows 10 Pro - Start10 - part of a local network which is a '3rd party optimizer-free' zone..

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Wasn't aware of that, as I don't use Office. 

How are YOU liking Windows 8 so far, mate?  ;)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My bad ;)  See, even I can't "keep up with it all".  I have a day job, that must be getting in the way L O L.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

After upgrading from Windows 7, I used the desktop side courtesy of Classic Shell and the Start8 beta. It wasn't long before I lost use of ALL apps apart from two Logo Quiz games.

A clean re-install and 99.99% exclusive use of the desktop side and Start8 has seen NO problems arise at all.

Since before XP and its Zune theme, I have altered backgrounds and task bars to 'black' and you wouldn't have known that I ever had Aero, so Windows 8's flat look doesn't trouble me at all. The most obvious Aero effect I had was the outer edge of my Microsoft 6000 v3 keyboard.

Like a petulant child, it stays in hibernate and sleep states for as long as it feels is necessary, but if I do happen to get back to it before it wakes, it is fast to recover.

Windows 7 was great, but the way I have it set up, I have Windows 7 but with the kernel and other improvements of Windows 8.

I don't consider that I am selling out in any way. Windows 8 has two faces and I prefer the less colourful but more useful desktop interface.

The programs used most are pinned to the Start8 menu, and Quicklaunch holds the utilities. Business as usual.. :-)

Windows 10 Pro - Start10 - part of a local network which is a '3rd party optimizer-free' zone..

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You had that problem with hibernation/sleep too?  THAT DROVE ME ABSOLUTELY bonkers!  Finally got the thing figured out!

I just use the desktop and use the start screen to make my monitor "look good"  LOL.......

I finally "found out" (how the heck DID I do that?) how to 'hide the administrative programs' from the start screen.  Don't ask me HOW it was accomplished. 

Magic fingers?  I guess........

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 72 Applies to: