Disconnect between Windows 8 (Metro) Apps and Desktop Apps

This is less of a question and more of a suggestion for Microsoft.  The disconnect between Windows 8 apps like the version of IE on the Start screen and the version of IE running in desktop mode is confusing.  I'm concerned it will become an impediment to adoption.  These two worlds really need to be integrated. 

Here's a confusing use case I just experienced.

I started IE from the Start screen and navigated to Pandora.  Music started playing and when I switched back to the Start screen it stopped which made it feel like the Surface can't multi-task.  Wondering if the music would continue when I switched to the desktop view, I noticed the IE icon on the taskbar in desktop view.  When I launched IE from the desktop, I had to log in to Pandora again, which seemed weird and highlighted the fact that the Start IE and the desktop IE are in two different worlds.  I've also been confused by the fact that the icons in the taskbar in desktop view don't show the running Windows 8 apps.  To see those, I have to use a new gesture to see the running Windows 8 apps.  This list of running Windows 8 apps doesn't contain any of the applications I've launched from desktop view.

Integrating these two worlds may be one of the single greatest changes you can make to Windows 8 to help alleviate barriers to entry for this otherwise very useful update to the OS.

Here's a confusing use case I just experienced.

I started IE from the Start screen and navigated to Pandora. Music started playing and when I switched back to the Start screen it stopped which made it feel like the Surface can't multi-task. Wondering if the music would continue when I switched to the desktop view, I noticed the IE icon on the taskbar in desktop view.

Click Start button, and then click Control Panel.

2. In Control Panel, click Hardware and Sound.

3. Under Sound, clickManage audio devices.

4. In the Sound box, click thePlayback tab, select the Bluetooth device, clickSet Default, and then click OK.

When I launched IE from the desktop, I had to log in to Pandora again, which seemed weird and highlighted the fact that the Start IE and the desktop IE are in two different worlds

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I am also having a problem with the disconnect between the Start screen apps and the Desktop apps.

I'm talking with a friend on Skype, and I also want to play this game on the Desktop. However, when I switch away from the Skype app, my friend's voice is muted. Thus, I have to download the Desktop version of Skype. This is rather frustrating, because I thought that this would be great, as I could manipulate Skype while in a full screen game by simply switching from Desktop to the app, but instead it's just like before; I can't manipulate Skype if in a full-screen game.

I really wish that Microsoft would add the option to not mute/quite down apps when you move away from them.

Sorry this didn't help.

Sounds like you may need to adjust the option under Manage Audio Devices, Communications tab (mute all sounds, reduce by X%, or do nothing).
J.D. Young
Digital Retail Solutions

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 269 Applies to: