Cannot rename Windows 8/Metro RDP shortcut/links to server name or any other name for that matter....

There is no way in the Windows 8 app version of RDP to rename a session/shortcut....

SO WHY WOULD I WANT TO DO THIS???

Well, under AWS the servers are given these long funky names (i19385s.aws.amazon.com) and I would like to just have the name be the actual server name (SERVER29).

But no way to do this in RD Metro/Windows 8..... and we could do this in the Windows 7 version....

So you have basically removed functionality without asking your experienced and Corporate Windows users if they needed it.....

Rick Sheeley
Bay Area, CA.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 276 Applies to:

Hey Rick,

I don't use RDP from my Surface into work (because I can't with my company's setup), but I do use it to get to my home PC.  I have two shortcuts in the RDP app for it: the local DNS name of my PC, and the IP address of my home network so I can connect from abroad.  And even that IP address I'd love to rename. While mine is obvious, I can certainly understand that your need to rename them is quite necessary!

Well with that limitation of the RDP app, I want to mention a possible workaround that isn't too terrible.  You can switch to the desktop and run the classic Remote Desktop Connection program.  From there you can create shortcut icons and name them the same way you're used to. One drawback though is that your shortcut icons can't be pinned to the Start screen.

Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet me: @LtCmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Mnay thanks for the tip, and yes, I use the desktop RDP all the time, so no worries there.  But that not excuse MS from putting a version of the RDP that doesn't match the functionality of the old RDP.

Also, being an MS programmer for many years. THis seems like trivial functionality that should have a part of release 1.0.....

Rick in CA

Sorry this didn't help.

Can't disagree there.

There's also an app called "My Server".  It's made by Microsoft, and from what I understand it's to help you watch over Windows Servers, so it might be more or less useful depending on what you're connecting to.  I haven't used it yet though.

Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet me: @LtCmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

Sorry this didn't help.

OK, I'll take a look...

Rick

Sorry this didn't help.