Can I expect my MS-DOS programs to work under Windows 8?

Out of curiosity I just installed Windows 8, 64 bit on my laptop which had Windows 7. I like Win. 8 fine. It works great.  I don't understand what all the fuss is about. This is coming from a 75 year old chap.

QUESTION: I also have a couple of machines with Windows XP, 32 bit on which I run a MS-DOS database and text editor. Can I expect my MS-DOS program to run under Windows 8, 32 bit? 

Thank you..... Hugh

Question Info

Last updated June 17, 2019 Views 40,547 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Hugh,
From a "younger" chap (61 one down here):
Best of luck.
Carlos

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
If it worked under Windows 2000, it will probably work under Windows XP, and might work under Windows 7. But Windows 8 threw all claims of compatibility out the window. DosBox is designed around the original MS-DOS, and doesn't address the Y2K problem, which is probably why the program won't work there. My suggestion would be to download and install VirtualBox from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads, and then install Windows 2000 as a virtual machine, and then run your program there. VirtualBox doesn't support MS-DOS, and VirtualPC (the Microsoft product) doesn't work on Windows 8, so this is the only solution. You might try vdos, but I haven't had much luck with it.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.