Windows 8 Windows Update not working (80072EE2)

Hi,

I have purchased a new Windows 8 laptop and I'm looking to get the latest Windows updates in order to be able to upgrade to Windows 8.1 and stay up to date. Every time I attempt to access windows update, either via the computer information or the start menu, it freezes. After a while it will eventually get to the actual update screen where I can choose to check for updates. Upon pressing this it freezes again, and will eventually resume checking. After a while I get the error code 80072EE2. I have tried using the Windows Update Troubleshooting tool and it does notify me that there are problems and corrupted files, but says it hasn't fixed them! Screenshot below:

If the Troubleshooter can't fix this, what should I do to be able to update? I have previously performed a system refresh to attempt to fix this but it has not worked.

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2019 Views 4,158 Applies to:
Is anyone able to assist me with this?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Ridley,

We are sorry for delayed reply.

I would suggest you to try following methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Disable Antivirus software and then try to install updates

1. Press "Windows" + "X" key and click Control Panel, and then, under System and Security, clicking Review your computer's status.
2. Click the arrow button next to Security to expand the section.

If Windows can detect your antivirus software, it's listed under Virus protection.

3. If the software is on, check the Help that came with the software for information on disabling it.

Important Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Method 2:

Start computer in Clean boot state and then try to install updates.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps from section “How to reset the computer to start as usual after clean boot troubleshooting” to reset the computer to start as usual.

Method 3:

Troubleshoot problems with installing updates
http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows-8/troubleshoot-problems-installing-updates

Method 4:

Temporary connection-related errors may occur when you use Windows Update or Microsoft Update
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941/en-us

Thank you

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your reply, turns out it was a strange problem I was having with my router. Upon switching to my old one the updates downloaded and installed fine.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Ridley,

I am glad to know that you were able to recognize the issue. Please let us know if you need any assistance in the future.

Thank you

Sorry this didn't help.