Windows 8 system restore has been restoring for almost 2 hrs. How long should it take?

New windows 8 machine. Installed AVG anti-virus that required a reboot. It wouldn't reboot. Kept giving me the dpc_watchdog... error. (over & over & over) So I chose to do a system restore to last Friday. I saw it start & I left the room for a while.  It has been restoring for almost 2 hrs now. I noticed the "finalizing file restore" at least an hour ago now. Is this normal? Do I need to do something else?

Question Info

Last updated October 18, 2018 Views 18,784 Applies to:
Answer

Hi Marcia,

I understand that the system restore takes long time to restore your computer.

System Restore usually takes 15 to 30 minutes depending upon the size of the data changed from the restore date till the date when the restore is being performed.
If the computer gets stuck, perform a hard reset. Press the power button for a little more than 10 seconds. Once the computer shuts down, restart again and follow the steps.

Follow the steps mentioned below and perform a System Restore from Windows Recovery Environment. Check if it helps.

a) Insert the Windows 8 Installation Disc; click on Repair your System.
b) Click on Advanced Startup Options.
c) Click on Windows Startup Settings.
d) If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc.
e) f) If you are using the Windows installation disc, click on System Restore.
f) Click on the Restore point during which the System was working fine.
g) Click on Apply, click on OK.

Hope this helps and let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

30 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.