windows 8 pro random freeze

I upgraded from a win vista 32-bit to a 64-bit win 8 pro.
laptop specs: core 2 duo t5500, 3gb ram.

It freezes quite randomly for about 5-10 seconds, and resumes operation normally.
Usually happens when using google chrome, but seems fine in incognito mode of chrome.
has also happened while trying to open the task manager, and the classic start menu.
Stuff running in the background are avira and realvnc.
During freeze, the mouse can still be moved, but it shows that it's busy with a rotating blue circle.
It doesn't crash the PC or the programs running.

Is there any where I can get error messages that can help diagnose what's wrong?

Thank you!

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 262 Applies to:
Hi Jen,
Thank you for posting the thread on Microsoft Community.

As per the description of the issue, after you upgraded Windows Vista to Windows 8 Pro your computer freezes.
Please provide me the following information.
1) Do you get any error when the computer freezes?
2) Have you installed any third party antivirus or security software on your computer?
3) Have you made any changes to your computer prior to this issue?

I would suggest you to please follow the method given here.

Method 1: Boot the computer in Safe mode with networking and then in Clean Boot.

Step 1: Boot the computer in Safe mode with networking.

With the Windows Startup Settings screen (formerly advanced boot options) you can start Windows in different advanced troubleshooting modes so you can find and fix problems on your PC. In previous versions of Windows, you could get to this screen by pressing F8 before Windows started up. Windows 8PCs start up quickly so there's not enough time to press F8.

Follow the steps in the link below.

If the computer works properly please perform the following step.

Step 2: Place the computer in clean boot and check for the issue.
Place the computer in a clean boot state and then check if it helps. You can start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

Note: After troubleshooting, make sure to set the computer to start as usual as mentioned in Step 3
from the KB article mentioned above.

Method 2: Follow the steps in the link below.

Windows hangs or freezes.

If you have any issues with the functionality with Google Chrome then please contact the Chrome support. You can contact them here.

You can refer to the following link for additional help.

Performance & maintenance

I hope your issue gets resolved by now, please write if you still face any Windows related issue

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the suggestions.
1) No error message. Laptop freezes a while and resumes as if nothing happened.
2) The latest Avira antivirus was installed.
3) The issue existed from the installation of win 8. Although i cannot confirm that it happened before the installation of chrome and avira antivirus. Another problem is that the card reader drivers are not installed, as the installation of these drivers cause an error message:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-system/your-pc-ran-into-a-problem-this-has-caused-your-pc/d1665026-0c9f-4a78-9c75-0d316b4f1353

in the meantime, i really suspect google chrome, so will use ie for a few days to see if the problem persists.
Otherwise, will try your suggestions and see if the errors occur or not.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.