Windows 8 - OS Not Loading Properly - Error Code 0xc00000001

The Problem

I am trying to fix my mom's laptop and I am running into some dead ends. When you turn on the computer you get a very odd screen of blue with odd horizontal lines, almost looks like the screen or display driver was broken. See photo...

The Error

When I can get the computer to start in recovery mode I get

"The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or caontains errors."

File: \windows\system32\winload.edi

Error code: 0xc00000001.

See photo...

The Attempts

When I press F8 to load into safe mode (general w/o networking) everything works perfectly. I can log in and whatnot. I ran Malwarebytes to try and find some hint of something. It found two items but removing them didn't change any issues.

I tried doing a system refresh from safe mode but I ran into the same problems.

She said that before this problem started she was prompted to update to Windows 8.1.

The Computer

Toshiba

Satellite C855D-S5351

Any ideas? Thanks.

Hi,

I appreciate the steps that you have tried and thank you for the detailed information regarding the issue.

The error message 0xc0000001 usually denotes that system boot files are corrupted.

Perform an Automatic repair using Windows 8 bootable DVD or USB drive and check if that helps.

Follow these steps to perform Automatic repair

a. Insert the installation DVD or USB and boot Windows 8 from it.
b. In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘Language to install’, ‘Time and currency format’ and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.
c. Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.
d. Click on ‘Advanced options’ and select ‘Automatic Repair’ and select the operating system.

Method 2:

You may use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows 8.

Important: Make sure to backup the important data on your system before performing the below mentioned steps.

a. Insert the installation DVD or USB and boot Windows 8 from it.

b. In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’, ‘Time and currency format’ and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on‘next’.

c. Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.

d. Click on ‘Advanced options’ and click on command prompt.

e. Run the following command from the command prompt and press enter.

> bootrec /fixMBR
> bootrec /fixboot
> bootrec /rebuildbcd

Hope this information helps. Reply with the status so that we could help you further.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 4, 2022 Views 7,526 Applies to: