Windows 8 Keeps Freezing

I recently upgraded my laptop to windows 8, it worked fine in windows 7. It kept freezing about 2 minutes into boot. So I decided to do a computer reset so my computer was restored back to factory settings. Its doing the same thing again. My laptop is compatible with windows 8 I made sure of that. It's fine in safe mode. I can't download any drivers in safe mode with networking because windows wont run windows installer.

Laptop is a Dell Inspiron 15.

Question Info

Last updated September 6, 2018 Views 32,661 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. I will definitely help you in fixing the issue.

To help you suggest more steps to resolve the issue, I would appreciate if you could answer the following questions:

1. Do you receive any error code or message?
2. Have you made any recent hardware or software changes to your computer prior to the issue?
3. Is the computer freezing even in safe mode?
4. What is the make and model of the computer?

Please follow the below methods and check the issue:

Method 1

I would suggest you to disconnect all the external devices except mouse and keyboard and check if the computer freezes.

Method 2: Perform clean boot and check.

You may perform a clean boot to check if any third party application is causing the issue.

Step 1:

a) Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.
b) In the ‘Run’ windows type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.
c) Click the ‘Boot’ tab and uncheck ‘Safe Boot’ option.
d) On the ‘General’ tab, click to select the option ‘Selective startup’, and then click to clear the option Load startup items check box.
e) On the ‘Services’ tab, click to select the ‘Hide all Microsoft services’ check box, and then click ‘Disable all’.
f) On the ‘StartUp’ tab, click ‘Open Task Manager’. In the Task Manager window under startup tab, right click on each startup item which are enabled and select ‘Disable’.
g) Click ‘OK’, and then click Restart.

Step 2: Enable half of the services

a) Follow steps 1a and 1b to start the System Configuration utility.
b) Click the Services tab, and then click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box.
c) Click to select half of the check boxes in the Service list.
d) Click OK, and then click Restart.

Step 3: Determine whether the problem returns

If the problem still occurs, repeat step 1 and step 2. In step 2, click to clear half of the check boxes that you originally selected in the Service list.

If the problem does not occur, repeat step 1 and step 2. In step 2, select only half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the Service list. Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.
If only one service is selected in the Service list, and you still experience the problem, the selected service causes the problem. Go to step 6. If no service causes this problem, go to step 4.

Step 4: Enable half of the Startup items

If no startup item causes this problem, a Microsoft service most likely causes the problem. To determine which Microsoft service may be causing the problem, repeat step 1 and step 2 without selecting the Hide all Microsoft services check box in either step.

Step 5: Determine whether the problem returns

If the problem still occurs, repeat step 1 and step 4. In step 4, click to clear half of the check boxes that you originally selected in the Startup Item list.

If the problem does not occur, repeat step 1 and step 4. In step 4, select only half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the Startup Item list. Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.

If only one startup item is selected in the Startup Item list, and you still experience the problem, the startup item that is selected in the list is the service that is causing the problem. Go to step 6.
If no startup item causes this problem, a Microsoft service most likely causes the problem. To determine which Microsoft service may be causing the problem, repeat step 1 and step 2 without selecting the Hide all Microsoft services check box in either step.

Step 6: Resolve the problem

After you determine the startup item or the service that causes the problem, contact the program manufacturer to determine whether the problem can be resolved. Or, run the System Configuration utility, and then click to clear the check box for the problem item.

Step 7:

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to boot to normal startup.

a) Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.
b) In the ‘Run’ windows type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.
c) On the ‘General’ tab, click the ‘Normal Startup’ option, and then click ‘OK’.
d) When you are prompted to restart the computer, click ‘Restart’.

Method 3:

Follow the steps in the below link.

Windows hangs or freezes:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2681286?wa=wsignin1.0#method51

Note: Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

I hope the above information helps you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Change the power management setting to High Preformance, then do Windows Update.

Sorry this didn't help.

OK, I am so frustrated.  I bought my new laptop 2 weeks ago and I have had nothing but problems with windows 8.  If it is not my connection then it is freezing when it works it works great but it never last long, everytime it goes to sleep there is another issue.  I rely on this computer for school work and wow I cannot get anything done easily.  I just followed the first step written above and now my computer has been on restarting for the past 10 minutes.  What is next?

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you tried changing the power setting to  High Performance? 

Sorry this didn't help.

I too am having a very similar problem on a Toshiba Satelite C655 laptop purchased in 2011. I upgraded from a fully patched Win 7 to Win 8. I installed the drivers using the Toshiba upgrade assistant. For about 30 minutes after login the system is effectively frozen. As soon as it boots I try and start the Task manager to see I can determine the cause. The Task Manager takes about 10 minutes to load but when it does come up it shows that the disk drive is at 100%.

After about half an hour the system finishes whatever is happening (or it times out) and the system behaves normally until the next restart (cold or warm).

I have turned off all startup services and it still freezes per your instructions above.

So far I have used PC tools to clean and compact the registry and I forced a full defrag on the drive with no improvement. It is like the system is indexing something. It gives no errors, it is just unresponsive during this time.

This is a real issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

I got the same issue aswell, windows 8 freezes all the time after like max 5 minutes on my stationed computer I think the problem started after windows update started and the issue may be TP-LINK TN823N drivers with didn't work att the beginning so I hade the drivers forced to work with windows 7 drivers with worked untill the new update! So anoying a sat all the day yesterday and tried to use safe mode but with no result even turned of all processors in the back ground and when i try to do a recovery it freezes aswell! Im really pissed cause I only got windows 8 on my stationed computer and i just bought a license for my laptop which am worried if I install will the same thing happen to that computer, I make games and I dont got the time for crashes, to much time spent on images and code that I wont get back because of system crashes. The computer am using is a:

I7 3930K processor
64 gb ram 
Geforce gigabyte 670 4 gb graphics card
Gigabyte GA4 motherboard
System disk SSD adata 256 gb
2 x samsung seagater 1 gb
Samsung 24" screen
Phillips 27" screen
Wacom cintiq 12
Soundbooth 500
Logitech webcam 310
Logitech mouse and keyboard G510

If anyone solves this problem please let me know!
*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Sorry this didn't help.

Change the power management setting to High Preformance, then do Windows Update.
Try enable Hyper-V ( http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/2012/11/27/enabling-hyper-v-on-windows-8/ )
Try run CMD as admin and type "  bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes  "

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi AntChi, I am trying to try your suggestion.  I am new to Windows 8 64bit.  I am upgrading from 32bit windows Xp.  Windows 8 has installed, and I can log in, but it randomly freezes within about 5min of logging on.  I don't know where to find the Power management options or the windows update options in Windows 8, and my computer does not run for long enough to look around and find them.

Will report findings below:
To set power to high performance in win 8
  • from start screen press windows key + x
  • select power options on the menu that comes up
  • click "create a power plan" from the left hand menu
  • select "High Performance"
  • Name the plan something
Ok I have got my computer into High Performance power setting.  It has taken me about 10 restarts to get this far.  My computer is still freezing but I haven't tried the update yet.  Not sure computer will run long enough to update anything but will try.

To perform a Windows update in Windows 8:
  • press windows key + x
  •  Select Control Panel
  • Select System and Security
  • Select Windows Update
  • Click on the link telling you how many updates there are for your machine (there were 32 for mine - including my graphics card which I rather suspect is the source of my freezing)

Took another 5 restarts to get to this stage.

Next, now I know how to get to this step, I will go there as quickly as possible and start the updating.  I hope the computer will run long enough to download and install any of the updates!

Took 3 restarts to bring up the windows update screen again.

Alright.  Got to click the install updates button.  Is currently downloading 32 updates.  Don't see any data coming in yet (0kb total, 0% complete).

Windows updates were not downloading even though I could get onto the interned with explorer.  Couldn’t update from the Microsoft web site, have to use windows updater via control panel.  While I was googleing for how to make it download, my graphics card checked and found an update was available by its self.  Downloaded and installed that manually via internet explorer.

Computer froze again with 65% remaining.  Restarted. Opened NVidia Settings screen from panel in bottom right next to the time.  Clicked, Help > Updates

Then clicked on Download in the dialogue box that came up telling me there was an update.

Took me to the same web page that I was on before.  Finished the download this time and ran a security scan.  Installed the driver (Nvidia display driver v314.22).

Finished installing.  Couldn’t find a way of shutting down computer in windows 8.  Found a button that logged me out.  On login screen there was a power button in bottom right hand side.  Selected Install updates then shut down.

When I did this option there were only 14 updates not 32 like when I went through control panel. These updates are actually installing though.  It is up to 6 out of 14 at the moment.

Alright computer installed the 14 updates, plus I installed the Nvidia driver updates manually, leaving 17 left.  Sure enough after one freeze I got back to Windows update and there are only 17 to go.

Sadly computer is still freezing (I thought the video driver update would have fixed it).  Also Windows update is still refusing to download the updates.

Also my DVD drive does not show up…Not sure a new operating system is worth all this hassle!

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you so much for your help, my laptop seems to be running much faster, and no freezing so far 😁

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you so much for your help, my laptop seems to be running much faster, and no freezing so far 😁
Oh it's freezing again :(

Sorry this didn't help.