Question

Q: Windows 8 Error, Recovery, Missing Partition

Hi,

My ASUS S200E recently stopped working and began coming up with a recovery screen when I tried to turn the computer on. It asked for the recovery media which I have on USB and have tried to use.

Once I have the recovery media plugged in it comes up with two options - Troubleshoot or Turn off your PC.

When I click troubleshoot I then can refresh my computer which when chosen says "The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again" - I cannot unlock any drives as I cannot get on to the computer.

Another option is Reset your PC which then tells me "Unable to rest your PC. A Required drive partition is missing."

The final option is Advanced options.

When I go on to advanced options I have the option to system restore which comes up with the message "To use system restore, you must specify which windows installation to restore. Restart this computer, select an operating system, and then select system restore" but if I restart the computer I do not have the option to select an operating system.

System recovery image which when clicked on just says "Windows cannot find a system image on this computer."

Automatic repair which when clicked just says "Automatic repair couldn't repair your PC."

The final option under advanced options in command prompt for advanced troubleshooting.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can repair the computer?

The computer came with word already installed so I do not have a product key to download a new copy of windows with. It was originally windows 8 but updated to windows 8.1.

Any ideas would be appreciated - I've given as much detail as I can regarding the options that the computer offers me but if you need anymore then I wil try and explain further.

Answer

A:

Hi,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft Communities.

I understand that your computer is not able to boot and it says the drive is locked.

This issue is occurred due to following Reasons:

1. Bad sectors in the hard disc.

2. Hard disc corrupt

Please Note in order to get your compute back up and running we need a reinstallation disc of windows 8 or 8.1.

If you have the disc Please follow the below methods and check if it helps:

I would suggest you to perform check disk from advanced recovery options. Check if it helps.

a) Insert the media such as (USB or DVD) and restart the computer.

b) Press F12 key (typically this is F12, but it can differ between computer manufacturers) and choose the drive that you inserted the installation media into.

c) Once the Windows Setup window appears, follow these steps:

d) Click Next and select
Repair your computer.

e) You will then see a blue screen and an option to choose.

f) Choose the option Troubleshoot and select advanced options.

g) You may choose Command Prompt from Advanced boot option.

h) In the command prompt, type ‘chkdsk /r’ and press Enter.

Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

Method 2: Set the Drive as Primary from BIOS

I would suggest you to refer to the link and follow the suggestion from Researcher on February 16, 2013:

You would need to check if the hard drive, on which Windows is installed, is set as the primary drive under Boot menu;

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/fc3c93ae-95d8-4b26-a085-b2742674bc8f/cannot-unlock-drive-and-unable-boot-back-into-windows-8?forum=W8ITProPreRel

Disclaimer: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

If the issue still persists, check if re-building the boot files fixes the issue. Follow the steps:

Enter Command Prompt under Advance Startup options and then try the following command from the link:

Refer to the section "Bootrec.exe options"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with updated status of the issue to assist you further. 

Vinz

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 16,973 Last updated: July 4, 2018 Applies to: