Windows 7 File Recovery Error 0x80070131 - restore fails on filenames without extension

I am trying to restore files backed up from another computer (also using WIndows 8) using Windows 7 File Recovery. During the restore process I receive the following errors for a subset of files:

Restore failed to restore the file: \\?\C:\Users\Public\Documents\C\Users\julius\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft. Error:Short names are not enabled on this volume. (0x80070131)
Restore failed to restore the file: \\?\C:\Users\Public\Documents\C\Users\julius\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\resources. Error:Short names are not enabled on this volume. (0x80070131)
Restore failed to restore the file: \\?\C:\Users\Public\Documents\C\Users\julius\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\resources\newsound\mob\irongolem. Error:Short names are not enabled on this volume. (0x80070131)
Restore failed to restore the file: \\?\C:\Users\Public\Documents\C\Users\julius\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\resources\newsound\mob\magmacube. Error:Short names are not enabled on this volume. (0x80070131)

Note: the original files' names do not contain an extension - just consist of a filename.

What to do to also successfully restore files without an extension?

Regards, Andreas

Question Info

Last updated July 28, 2018 Views 5,241 Applies to:
Answer
I found this on an HP forum- don't know why the Microsoft person didn't suggest it (maybe one of you admins can come back with the reasons why this is a bad idea)

Fire up the command line and enter the following to toggle the registry value to allow long name creation:

fsutil behavior set disable8dot3 0

That worked for me and allowed me to pull from a backup I made of a drive in my laptop to a drive in my desktop- laptop was running Win7Pro, desktop is running Win8.

It was a work files directory that I needed to use while my laptop was out for repair.

17 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.