Windows 7 File Recovery Error 0x80070131 - restore fails on filenames without extension

I am trying to restore files backed up from another computer (also using WIndows 8) using Windows 7 File Recovery. During the restore process I receive the following errors for a subset of files:

Restore failed to restore the file: \\?\C:\Users\Public\Documents\C\Users\julius\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft. Error:Short names are not enabled on this volume. (0x80070131)
Restore failed to restore the file: \\?\C:\Users\Public\Documents\C\Users\julius\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\resources. Error:Short names are not enabled on this volume. (0x80070131)
Restore failed to restore the file: \\?\C:\Users\Public\Documents\C\Users\julius\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\resources\newsound\mob\irongolem. Error:Short names are not enabled on this volume. (0x80070131)
Restore failed to restore the file: \\?\C:\Users\Public\Documents\C\Users\julius\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\resources\newsound\mob\magmacube. Error:Short names are not enabled on this volume. (0x80070131)

Note: the original files' names do not contain an extension - just consist of a filename.

What to do to also successfully restore files without an extension?

Regards, Andreas

Question Info

Last updated May 31, 2018 Views 5,144 Applies to:
Answer
I found this on an HP forum- don't know why the Microsoft person didn't suggest it (maybe one of you admins can come back with the reasons why this is a bad idea)

Fire up the command line and enter the following to toggle the registry value to allow long name creation:

fsutil behavior set disable8dot3 0

That worked for me and allowed me to pull from a backup I made of a drive in my laptop to a drive in my desktop- laptop was running Win7Pro, desktop is running Win8.

It was a work files directory that I needed to use while my laptop was out for repair.

17 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.