sfc/scannow cannot fix corrupted files windows 8. dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth/ also does not work! Any help appreciated.

hello
I am having trouble trying to fix corrupted files on my Windows 8 Sony VAIO Laptop. I am hoping someone might be able to help me to fix my issues. I would really like to learn how to correct these issues I am having. there really bugging me.  In case i ever have similar problems in the future.
All my drivers are up-to date. I am fairly confident that its not a malware issue. I am careful about my on line activities that could infect my machine. although I cannot 100% rule this out. I am running Mcafee security Suite (fully updated and free with my broadband package). No other real time AV scanners are running. I do however occasionally use a registry cleaner, after installing and installing various programs. but I only use the default cleaning methods, never the FULL registry cleaning method. I feel these could cause file issues if used. I also defrag  my 1TB HDD at least once a week.

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth/  also does not seem to work error message and log files can be found below!

I have ran sfc/scannow and  many times,
 each time I get  error message stating:
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt Files but was unsable to fix some
of them. Details are included in the cbs.log windir\logs\cbs\cbs.log.
For example C:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log. Note that logging iis currently not
supported in offline servicing scenarios.

When I reboot win 8 after running sfc/scannow. Windows 8 shows that it is updating my system from up to 100%
it reboots fine. then i run sfc/scannow again and it does exactly the same thing. i reboot and it updates my system. but does not fix my corrupted files!
CHKDSK /F also freezes at 27%. But when I boot into my  Sony VAIO recovery disk #1 and run hardware diagnostics HDD repair tool to try to fix any bad sectors etc on my HDD
that runs to 100% and states there are NO problems!!
Here are the log files I can access. I must admit at the moment I do not understand them.
even after much reading online ::
20/07/2013
sfc/scannow eror message =
windows resource protection found corrupt files
but was unable to find some
of them. Details are included in the CBS.log
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log for example C:/windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.
 Note that logging is currently not supported in offline scenarios.
 (ACCESS DENIED) when i try to open log file C:/windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth/
 error messages and log files 21/07/2013
0x800f081f
the source file could not be found
use the source option to specify  the location
of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more
information on specifying a source location,
see http://go.microsoft/fwlink/?linkid=243077

The DISM log file can be found at C:\windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

I hope i can get some help to fix thses issues

regards
Answer
Answer
How to Run the "SFC /SCANNOW" Command at Boot or in Windows 8

Information
This will show you how to run the sfc /scannow command at boot or in Windows 8 to attempt to fix corrupted or modified system files.

Tip
If you get the Windows Resource Protection Could Not Start the Repair Service error when trying to run SFC, then make sure that the Windows Modules Installer service is enabled and set to Manual.

Services - Start, Stop, and Disable in Windows 8

If SFC is unable to repair corrupted system files because the store (source) is corrupted, then you could run the Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth command to fix Windows component store corruption, then afterwards try running the SFC scan again.

OPTION ONE
To Run the SFC /SCANNOW Command at Boot

1. Open a command prompt at boot.

2. In the command prompt, type diskpart and press Enter, then type list volume and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

3. Make note of the drive letters for your boot drive (ex: 350MB "System Reserved" partition) and Windows 8 drive, then type Exit and press Enter. (see screenshot above)
NOTE: If you do not have a "System Reserved" partition, and are not multi-booting with another operating system, then the boot drive and Windows 8 drive may be the same drive letter.

4. In the command prompt, type the command below and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
NOTE: You will see a blinking cursor at the prompt until finished. This will take a while to finish running though.

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=D:\windows

Note
You will need to substitute the drive letter of the partition/volume where your system boot files are stored in the offbootdir=C: part of the command above instead.

You will need to substitute the drive letter of your Windows 8 partition/volume in the offwindir=D: part of the command above instead.

5. When the scan is complete, hopefully you will see an all is ok message like below.

6. Close the command prompt, and restart the computer to start Windows 8.

Note
If SFC could not fix something, then run the command again to see if it may be able to the next time. Sometimes it may take running the sfc /scannow command 3 times restarting the PC after each time to completely fix everything that it's able to.

If not, then run the Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth command to repair any component store corruption, restart the PC afterwards, and try the sfc /scannow command again.

If still not, then you could do a refresh of Windows 8, or run a System Restore using a restore point dated before the bad system file occured to fix it. You may need to repeat doing a System Restore until you find a older restore point that may work.

If still not, then you can use the steps in the TIP box in the OPTION THREE section below to manually replace the files that SFC could not fix.

OPTION TWO
To Run the SFC /SCANNOW Command in Windows 8

1. Open an elevated command prompt in Windows 8.

2. In the elevated command prompt, type sfc /scannow and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
NOTE: This may take a while to finish running.

3. When the scan is complete, hopefully you will see an all is ok message like the bottom screenshot below.
NOTE: Luckily SFC was able to repair my corrupted system files automatically.

Note
If SFC could not fix something, then run the command again to see if it may be able to the next time. Sometimes it may take running the sfc /scannow command 3 times restarting the PC after each time to completely fix everything that it's able to.

If not, then run the Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth command to repair any component store corruption, restart the PC afterwards, and try the sfc /scannow command again.

If still not, then you could do a refresh of Windows 8, or run a System Restore using a restore point dated before the bad file occured to fix it. You may need to repeat doing a System Restore until you find a older restore point that may work.

If still not, then you can use the steps in the TIP box in the OPTION THREE section below to manually replace the files that SFC could not fix.

OPTION THREE
How to See and Read Only the "SFC" Scan Results from the CBS.LOG

NOTE: When SFC runs, it logs it's actions into the C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. The steps in this option will show you how to see only the specific SFC entries with the [SR] tags in this CBS.log. This can be helpful to show you what files SFC could not fix automatically if you wanted to try and manually replace them.

1. Open an elevated command prompt in Windows 8.

2. In the elevated command prompt, copy and paste the command below and press Enter.
NOTE: This will place a sfcdetails.txt file on your desktop with only the SFC scan result details from the CBS.LOG in it.
Code:
findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt
3. Close the elevated command prompt.

4. Open the sfcdetails.txt file on your desktop to see the SFC scan details in the CBS.LOG.

5. When finished, you can safely delete the sfcdetails.txt file afterwards if you like.

Tip
If you need to replace a corrupted system file that SFC cannot fix, then this will show you how to:

If you have to many files that are corrupted, then run the Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth command to repair any component store corruption, restart the PC afterwards, and try the sfc /scannow command again.

If you only have a few, then you could manually extract a new copy directly from your Windows 8 installation DVD or USB thumb drive, or ISO file if in a virtual machine.

Extract Files from Windows 7 Installation DVD

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 19, 2023 Views 93,104 Applies to: