Question

Q: "NTLDR is missing" error

When we turn on the our Dell Inspiron computer we am getting a "NTLDR is missing" error, press any key to restart.  We have windows 8 loaded. 
How do I  fix this problem?

Hi Dennis,
Thank you for posting the issue on Microsoft Community.
We will try to help you resolve the issue.
If you could answer a few questions it would help us to assist you better.
1. Did you make any changes in the computer prior to the issue?
2. What is the model number of the computer?

This problem may occur if the basic input/output system (BIOS) on your computer is outdated, or if one or more of the following Windows boot files are missing or damaged:
Ntldr
Ntdetect.com
Boot.ini
Here are a few steps which you can follow:

Method 1:
Startup repair
Boot using Windows 8 Installation disk and perform startup repair.
a. Insert the disk into DVD drive and restart the computer.
b. Press F12 key (typically this is F12, but it can differ between computer manufacturers) and choose the drive that you inserted the installation media into.
c. Once the Windows Setup window appears click Next.
d. Click on Repair your computer.
e. Click on Troubleshoot and then select Advanced Options.
f. Click on Automatic repair.
Follow the on-screen instructions and finish the repair.
If method 1 does not resolve the issue follow method 2:

Method 2 :
System restore
Boot using Windows 8 Installation disk and perform System restore
a. Insert the disk into DVD drive and restart the computer.
b. Press F12 key (typically this is F12, but it can differ between computer manufacturers) and choose the drive that you inserted the installation media into.
c. Once the Windows Setup window appears click Next.
d. Click on System restore
e. Follow the on-screen instructions and finish the repair.
Note: When you perform System Restore to restore the computer to previous state, programs and updates you installed are removed.

Hope this resolves the issue. If issue persists, you can write back to us and we will be glad to assist you further.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Both of the solutions failed. Going to try the "Refresh" and see if that works.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hmmm now I have a CPU fan error... Wonderful.

Sorry this didn't help.

I may be late to the party, but thought I'd mention that this message often appears when you have your computer set to boot from USB or other devices and you leave a non-bootable device in a port. I don't know how many times I've seen people go off reworking their Windows install when the problem was as simple as removing the problem USB device.

This may not be your problem, but it may save other from going down the wrong path in the future.

Sorry this didn't help.

10 people were helped by this reply

I had a virus. Got it removed by the store I purchased the computer at. Took a bit, but I think I'm back to normal.

Sorry this didn't help.

Years later, but thank you. USB was 4th boot option in bios and before removing a failing drive I had uploaded all the current VC, HD, Sound, Monitor etc. drivers and utilities needed to rebuild my computer with a new HD.... starting with Win8. Only it was intended for use after completing the new OS install in hopes of making the system upgrades to Win10 a little smoother. Removal of the drive was as simple as it gets and was exactly what was needed.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 10139 Last updated: December 14, 2017 Applies to: