My Windows Update doesn't open at all, it stucks while loading... WHY?

When I attempt to open Windows Update in the Control Panel, it stucks and doesn't open at all though it only loads. In my impatience, I opened the Task Manager and clicked Restart under the Windows Update task and it closes. I did even number of restarts, maybe 5 times every time this happens.

Behind story: I disabled the Windows Update from checking, downloading and installing automatically in my PC long time ago, then I decided to enable it BUT by just letting it check for updates but I'll be the one to choose whether to download and install them. Afterwards, the problem I stated above happened. I even tried the troubleshooting once in the Action Center but didn't seem to help at all.

Just in case my English is bad. I sincerely apologize.
Answer
Answer

Hi Joe,

You may try these steps one by one and verify the issue status.

Method 1:

Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter.

If your computer is having problems finding and installing operating system updates, try using a Windows Update troubleshooter to fix the problem. It makes sure that your computer is connected to the Internet, and checks to see whether your network adapter and Windows Update services are running correctly.

a. PressWindows + W key on the keyboard.

b. Typetroubleshooting in the search tab and press Enter.

c. ClickView all on left panel.

d. ClickWindows Update, new window will popup.

e. Follow the on screen instructions.

Method 2:

Check if the following services are running.

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Cryptographic Service

Windows Update

To do so, follow these steps.
a. Press Windows key+ R and in the run box type services.msc without quotes and hit Enter.
b. Locate Windows Update.
c. Right click on the service and select Properties.
d. In Start-up type, select Enable.
e. Click Start under Service status.
f. Click OK.
g. Repeat the steps c to f for the following services also:

Method 3:

You may run the fixit from the following link and then try to install the updates to check if it works:

How do I reset Windows Update components?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

You may refer to the steps from:

Troubleshoot problems with installing updates

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/troubleshoot-problems-installing-updates

Please post with the issue.

18 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 12, 2024 Views 42,799 Applies to: